Upgrading dell desktop

Newby 12:04 04 Mar 04

I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 933MHz CPU, 133FSB.
The motherboard is designed to support a 933MHz CPU maximum. I would like to buy a motherboard which can support up to - say - £GB CPU but, probably, buy a 2.6 - 2.8 GB. I have been told that some of the connections on dell motherboards/hardware are not compatible with other manufacturers. ALTHOUGH I LIKE THE DELL EQUIPMENT THERE APPEARS TO BE NO EASY WAY TO UPGRADE IT, SO I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY TO GET ANOTHER MB ELSEWHERE.
Can romeone please advise if my information is correct? Thank you.

slimbo51 12:13 04 Mar 04

Do know some white box Manf (Dell in your instance) use custom built cases for their comps, and as such can involve getting a new case and psu.

The new PSU will probably be required anyway once u start upgrading proc memory Ect, as the ones they tend to use are of quite low wattage and limited quality.

In addition depending what type of memory u have at the moment Pc133 or whatever this may well not fit the new M/Board.

Other items such as graphic cards, sound cards Ect may well have to be considered.

christmascracker 12:17 04 Mar 04

Have a read here

click here

click here

Newby 16:10 04 Mar 04

slimbo51 and christmascracker,
Thank you very much for your information and advice. Looks like I'm going to need to spend some money if I want a faster computer.
I was horified, both at the fact that Dell is/was creating a problem with equipment when upgrading but also defended their policy so blithely! I am not a computer expert (I have found out in my time that the more one knows about a subject the more there is to learn).
Enough of this philosophising, thank you again.
Newby.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…