Upgrading CPU, Graphics & RAM. effect on XPpro?

Mysticnas 10:57 11 Jul 05

Hi all!

Hope everyone is safe and well.

I'm considering upgrading my PC as opposed to buying a new one. The cost will be around £500 (cost of new PC would be around 1.5-2k.)

What i'd like to know is whether upgrading all these components, not neccasarily at the same time) will have any adverse effects on my installation of XP.

I've heard some people talk about XP being made corrupt or something, or just something simple like having to re-activate it?

What's the score? :o)

Thanks
Nas

Stuartli 11:16 11 Jul 05

What are you intending to upgrade?

If it includes a new motherboard then it would be wise to do a Repair (NOT install) of XP as it doesn't always like the change of circumstances with a new mobo. You will also preserve your configuration and data.

Don't forget to configure the Bios to boot from CD-ROM (i.e. your XP CD-ROM) before doing the Repair. There are several threads on the subject or go to:

click here:
You will also need/may need to reinstall SP2 and any subsequent SP3 updates if you don't have a slipstreamed XP-SP2 disk.

As for the normal type of upgrading XP should take it in its stride when you commence installing new components etc, although getting the very latest drivers will be of value once it is up and running.

Stuartli 11:17 11 Jul 05

You will need your XP key part way through a Repair installation.

Belatucadrus 11:18 11 Jul 05

RAM :- No adverse affects.

CPU :- Providing the MOBO will support it without BIOS updates again shouldn't cause adverse affects.

VGA :- Will need drivers installed but shouldn't affect XP.

SANTOS7 11:19 11 Jul 05

click here
I am not quite sure how you have calculated an upgrade expenditure of £500 against what you can buy for £1500-£2000 which by todays standards will buy you a PC of some considerable Power, most of which any normal PC user cannot quantify, My first piece of advice is to decide exactly what you want your PC to do for you and budget your components around that.
The link is a possible suggestion as your Mobo may not support the components you want.

Mysticnas 11:36 11 Jul 05

Thanks.

i'll be upgrading the CPU in about a week or so. The reason being that my current components don't use the full potential of my mobo.

So i'm going to get the CPU, AGP and RAM that do. Trouble is that the CPU P4 2.8 FSB533 Northwood core are few and far between now.

There's and AGPx8 card that i've got my eye on 6800GT 256mb, and 2gb of DDR400.

I don't know whether to get the AGP card before the RAM though. DDR400 should still be in use for a while yet shouldn't it?

Mysticnas 11:46 11 Jul 05

I should have explained a little more.

I'm a multimedia desginer, I do 3Dmodeling/animation, video editing/production etc...

If I got a new PC I'd get all the latest gear, build it myself again. A 7series nVidia card, latest sound, CPU etc.. mostlikely a Intel 64bit system using windows 64bit os, which i've been using over the weekend at a mates place.

i'll probably buy a whole new PC within a year anyway, but just for the meanwhile i'm looking to get the best out of my system as it stands.

If I do get a 64bit system as I plan to, then I should have this system as my 32bit platform.

Sorry for the confusion.

SANTOS7 11:56 11 Jul 05

Not a problem Nas The components you have discribed should stand the test of time and i wish you well with your chosen profession...

Mysticnas 12:31 11 Jul 05

Just remembered, 6800GT needs a big power supply!

Grr...

I've got a standard Chieftec one in there now, 340W i think. I'll probably need to upgrade to at least 400w, possibly even 500w considering all the drives and ram and overclocking too.

Darn it.

Stuartli 12:38 11 Jul 05

If you have a high quality power supply unit then it will more than likely be OK - quality rather than quantity (of watts) is the key with PSUs.

I recently bought a GeForceFX graphics card and discovered, on reading the manual, it required 300we and preferably 350w.

So I bought a 500w model on e-Bay and then took out my six-year-old PSU which has stood the test of time - and powered a range of components - well.

To my amazement the Enermax PSU being replaced had an output of a "mere" 100w...:-) But it is a quality PSU company even if it and the case it came with only cost £26....

I must admit I didn't read your thread title all that carefully, more the bit about XP - but it's still very relevant...:-)

Stuartli 12:39 11 Jul 05

If you have a high quality power supply unit then it will more than likely be OK - quality rather than quantity (of watts) is the key with PSUs.

I recently bought a GeForceFX graphics card and discovered, on reading the manual, it required 300we and preferably 350w.

So I bought a 500w model on e-Bay and then took out my six-year-old PSU which has stood the test of time - and powers a range of components - well.

To my amazement the Enermax PSU being replaced had an output of a "mere" 100w...:-) But it is a quality PSU company even if the unit and the case it came with (still in use) only cost £26....

I must admit I didn't read your thread title all that carefully, more the bit about XP - but it's still very relevant...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…