Upgrading CPU

gplatt2000 21:44 14 Apr 03

Hi. I hve an olp PC I want to upgrade. It currently has a Pentium2 400Mhz processer, but I want to upgrade to a Celeron 1.7Ghz. According to the mtherboard manual, it 'supportsPentium Celeron 266-333Mhz CPUs at slot1 for AT form factor'.
Q1: Will this mother board only take upto a 333Mhz Celeron or was this just the fastest at the time and it will be OK with the 1.7?
Q2: What does the 'at Slot 1 for AT Form Factor' bit mean???

Thanks in advance, Gavin.

AMD 4 ever 21:49 14 Apr 03

Noway. It definately wont take a 1.7GHZ CPU. Differnet altogether.

'at Slot 1 for AT Form Factor' bit mean....means this is a AT Power supply, and a slot type socket for the cpu. All mobo's are Socket 478 (P4) and ATX. So in no way possible. A new motherboard,PSU,CPU,RAM upgrade is need atleast!

Paroxetine 21:51 14 Apr 03

best thing to do is the post the mobo model and name on here and we can then look it up, better still you can look it up from the manufacturers web site, who should be able to explain all that you ask.

In a nutshell though, AT form factor refers to the size and shape of the motherboard itself, the newer ATX style has different connections positions and is sized differently. You could upgrade the motherboard and take advantage of increased speed and other such bonuses.

There are plenty of guides to do this on here, so search around, if not then post here again and we will help out.

P

gplatt2000 22:11 14 Apr 03

Here's all I could find out about the amke etc from the manual. On the cover it says pc100 Pentium 2 mainboard M729. Any help?

Joe McG 22:28 14 Apr 03

gplatt200,
This link will give you a better idea of your mobo. click here

Regards. Joe

Joe McG 22:35 14 Apr 03

gplatt2000,

found this link, which shows you can only buy a 450 celeron, for this board.

Maybe better to upgrade your mobo as well.
click here

gplatt2000 22:44 14 Apr 03

Thanks a lot for your hlep everyone. I probably wont bother upgrading the Mobo and CPU and just upgrade RAM and the hard drive. Thanks again, Gavin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…