upgrading cpu

JAI826 22:36 02 Mar 03

I have an packard bell iconnect 700mhz celeron processor& want to upgrade the cpu.so which compatible cpu can i buy..cheers

eccomputers 23:07 02 Mar 03

You will have to buy a new motherboard too. You could update your processor to a slightly faster one but your motherboard doesnt take one fast enough for you to see a real benefit.
The celeron processor is a cheap intel version of the 'proper' range and doesnt perform as well.
My old PIII 450 intel processor used to perform as good as my friends celeron 800.

SupaSteph64 23:38 02 Mar 03

If you want to keep your costs down in the upgrade, I would concider a PCChips M810LMR Socket-A All-in-One Motherboard M810LMR available from RL Supplies at click here for £41 +VAT. This board has EVERYTHING on it the only other things you would need is your existing system memory (although you could probably do with upgrading this as well), an AMD proccessor and a heatsink and fan. You could start with a small CPU like the Athlon 1300 Socket A (266Mhz FSB) for £31 +VAT up to the AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.0Ghz) Socket-A Processor for £94 +VAT (after that they get uneconomical in price up to the AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2.083Ghz) Barton Socket-A Processor (333Mhz FSB) for £279 +VAT. All available from the same place.
Good luck, Garry.

DieSse 23:47 02 Mar 03

Many PB computers cannot be easily upgraded with new motherboards and high power processors, as they tend to have relatively low wattage power supplies, and somertimes odd case/back panel layouts.

Could you give us the exact model number of your system, then if you wish, someone will be sure to look it up and advise you further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…