Upgrading C drive - Can I use progs on 'old' drive until re-installed?

AroundAgain 16:45 20 Dec 14
Answered

Hi guys (and gals) Running Windows 7

I'm about to upgrade my 'C' drive (SSD) from a smaller SSD as it's too small and causing a few issues.

I'm going to fit it, unattach the current (small) drive, then install Win 7 as clean install to the new drive. I can then install the other various programs that I use, of course.

My question is, if I set the 'small' SSD to slave, can I then run the programs already installed on there? I suspect not!

If not, I would have to switch off PC, connect the older 'small' drive to use some of the programs until they are all re-installed on the new drive, I think. So, just wondering what my options are, really

Many thanks for any suggestions

Ian in Northampton 17:35 20 Dec 14
Answer

I think - I'm not 100% sure - that if you do a clean install of W7, then the operating system won't be able to 'see' the programs on the other drive, because there will be no entries in the fresh install's registry - which is what W7 relies on to run programs. If a program isn't in the registry, Windows can't execute it. Others may confirm (or not...)

john bunyan 17:43 20 Dec 14

If you have a USB Hd , you could clone the old c drive then clone it back to the new one. There are a number of programmes such as macrium reflect, Acronis etc. For details look up how to clone a HD. Others may give more detail.

rdave13 17:53 20 Dec 14

As you've already set up an SSD then a clone should work. There are freebies to do this but I can't recommend any as I use Paragon Hard Disk manager paid for version. Macrium possibly? click here.

Heard some good views on that. It might clone to the same partition ratios as Paragon does. Cloning it then you won't have to install anything or update and settings/programs will be as before.

Simply connect the new drive to the PC via usb with a caddy, run the cloning program. At the end shut down the PC. Physically change the drive and boot up.

AroundAgain 19:30 20 Dec 14

Hi Thanks guys I thought this would be a good time to do a clean install, seeing as I've had this PC for 3 yrs. If I need to do some stuff on it, that I can't do on laptop, I'll just reconnect the 'old' drive.

Documents and stuff are on a second HDD anyway in the PC so I will be able to access them OK with either main drive.

I had considered cloning etc but decided to do a clean install while I had the opportunity, then I'll clone the new drive once I've got it set up with programs I want. Makes more sense to me.

Thanks Ian of Northampton, I thought it wouldn't be able to run programs that have previously been installed, even though they're on another drive altogether, but decided to ask, just in case ....

Cheers

rdave13 19:48 20 Dec 14

A fresh install would be better but remember all the updates and SSD settings you will have to go through again. :(

link

reg disable prefetch

Regardless of the hype of the hiberfil.exe on win 8 and above you're better off disabling hibernation. Storage more valuable than cutting seconds off a boot in my humble opinion.

rdave13 19:53 20 Dec 14

Last link not working, sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…