Upgrading a base unit.

Barnacarry 14:28 15 May 05

As my old Time machine cannot be upgraded, no surplus slots and a large fixed AMD processor that cannot be taken out, I'm about to purchase a new base unit. My question is - Do ALL new base units, from the various manufacturers, have the ability to be upgraded i.e. processor, graphics card, TV out, Ram, etc. or would I have to get one made to measure. I use my machine mainly for business and the internet but I would also like it to be a bit more versatile .
My budget is around £500.

Klof Ron 14:43 15 May 05

The general answer is no, buy cheap, get cheap. I would recommend selecting your own components (as you know what you want better than anyone else) and either build it yourself, or get a competent person to do it for you.

Completealias 14:58 15 May 05

If you want one that you can tweak n upgrade then i'd select my own components and build. You can get some good motherboard processor and RAM bundles and then you can select your graphics card etc.

Brought systems don't use the best components available so they have there profit margin, and therefore do not have the same upgrading potential.

I fully intend to build my next system

Joe R 15:02 15 May 05

Have to agree with the above. If you pick and choose your own components, then you can also select your own upgrade path/s.

This site will tell you all you need to know about self-build. click here

Barnacarry 15:09 15 May 05

It sounds a bit daunting to start from scratch as I don't know my Athlon 64 (socket 754) from my athlon XP and if different manufacturers components work with each other. I think I shall have to give this some more thought. Thank you both for your help.

Barnacarry 15:19 15 May 05

Thanks, Joe R, I'm downloading their avi files as we speak to see if my grey cells can take it all in so, you never know, with a bit of luck I might just have found a new sideline. Many thanks.

Joe R 15:27 15 May 05

If you go the AMD64 route, go for socket 939, as it is more futureproof.

Buchan 35 22:44 15 May 05

From a wee pile of old grey cells, all the best

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…