upgrading

morph76 19:01 23 Jul 06

I bought my pc in jan 2003 and i fancy upgrading a few things but dont know where i should start. Ill list what i have below

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
512MB RAM
NVIDIA GEFORCE Ti 4200 with AGP8X
LG L1710B monitor

I just want to freshen it up a bit so please make some suggestions

Diodorus Siculus 19:05 23 Jul 06

What do you use if for?

IF you add another 512mb RAM you will see some difference; if you are into games, a new graphics card will certainly be an advantage.

Changing the processor will not make much difference - few enough motherboards will allow for a change of processor to a high enough level to see a difference.

Diodorus Siculus 19:06 23 Jul 06

Oh, and a reinstall of Windows will make a difference.

sean-278262 19:10 23 Jul 06

Depending on your budget you can do a lot.

For about 120quid you can get a 17inch monitor
Add a bigger hard drive for anything as low as 30quid for 80gb
Upgrade to an athlon xp3000 or more for 60 quid or less click here
New GFX card with AGP for about 75. click here
You can also easily add another 512mb of ram to give you 1gb of ram. The best ones in my oppinion are Ram and the Graphic card if you do play games. But really depents what you want to do with the PC. However remember that new base systems are as cheap as 300quid for a decent machine. So keep this in mind

click here

click here

click here

morph76 19:12 23 Jul 06

I would like it to run games better, call of duty is pretty jerky at times, will my pc run any graphics card? i wouldnt mind spending £200 or around that, is there anything else that is worthwhile upgrading?

morph76 19:23 23 Jul 06

the hard drive is 80Gb, im not sure what to upgrade this to, its pretty full! but i wouldnt need it to be much bigger

woodchip 19:24 23 Jul 06

Looks like you need a good Graphics card

Totally-braindead 19:25 23 Jul 06

Assuming you have £200 to spend I personally would buy another 512mb RAM from Crucial and a graphics card such as click here or click here but before doing so I would check what your power supply is rated at. The reason is most modern cards require power from a molex connector (thats the power connectors you use for your hard drive etc) and because of this it is best to check what your power supply is rated at. It should have a label on it, if its 450 watts or more there shouldn't be a problem, 400 watts borderline 350 watts or below would really need replaced.

To be honest the simplest most cost effective upgrade you can do is add another 512mb RAM.

Totally-braindead 19:27 23 Jul 06

Took me a while to type.

If you have a 80 gig drive and its nearly full that may well be the bottleneck and either buying a second drive or just replacing it with a new larger drive is also reasonably easy though you would probably have to reinstall everything.

morph76 19:30 23 Jul 06

i was meaning £200 on a graphics card, its just that i had seen some and they were quite expensive in the pc advisor top 10 and assumed thats what id need to spend, definitley gona go for a mem upgrade tho as a start

morph76 19:32 23 Jul 06

i take it id have to buy a second drive then because i dont have an xp disk? nice people from evesham just sent a rescue disk with it when i bought it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…