upgrading a 1 year old pc

hmmm 16:42 31 Dec 03

Question Title: Upgrading a 1 year old pc...
Author: skibadee65
Date: 12/29/2003 03:26PM PST

i have an athlon xp1700
512mb of ddr 266 ram
80gb hard drive
ati radeon 8500 64mb graphics card
asus a7v 333 motherboard

I want to upgrade in a couple of months time. I am thinking of getting the amd 3000 processor and another 512mb of ddr 266 ram.

Is this worthwile and will my mobo and ram make full use of this processor?

Or is it worth spending the extra money on 1gb of ddr 333 ram?

Any further suggestions are welcome

thanks for all the help...it is much appreciated

is the xp 3000 333mhz compatible with this mobo?

hmmm 16:48 31 Dec 03

all comments welcome

woodchip 16:52 31 Dec 03

Will your motherboard take the new size CPU

Rayuk 16:53 31 Dec 03

Best to wait nearer the time couple of months is a long time in the pcworld
Do a bit of research on your motherboard for compatability with higher cpus.

hmmm 16:53 31 Dec 03

how do i check?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:54 31 Dec 03

Unless you are an avid gamer you will notice little or no change. The difference between Igb of DDR 333 RAM and 1gb of DDR 266 will be equally negligible as will the difference between a 1700 and 3000 processor. Even if you are well into games the system will be only as good as the worst part...so the graphics card willl need to be changed ;-)) If you require extra speed you will be better off buying an external HD and dumping everything that you rarely use on there, hitting start-run- and type msconfig and turn off everything that is not needed apart from your firewall, AV, explorer and systray.

G

hmmm 17:03 31 Dec 03

the pc runs fine most of the time. The only thing is that programs have begun to open a more slowly than before as i have alot of applications open.

When i cherck the system performance i can see that alot of memory is being used. 350 mb plus.

I dont want to spend to much money as i will be doing a full upgrade in a year. I was thinking that spending 100 quid might do the trick on extra memory and a slighlty faster cpu.

hmmm 17:05 31 Dec 03

the pc runs fine most of the time. The only thing is that programs have begun to open a more slowly than before as i have alot of applications open.
When i cherck the system performance i can see that alot of memory is being used. 350 mb plus.

I dont want to spend to much money as i will be doing a full upgrade in a year. I was thinking that spending 100 quid might do the trick on extra memory and a slighlty faster cpu.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:07 31 Dec 03

You have too many programmes running in the background...msconfig and go to start up...untick everything that is not needed to run in the background (Real player, office etc,) Buying an external HD is a good option.

G

Rennaissance 17:10 31 Dec 03

£100 on memory + Processor? Or just memory? Processors cost a lot more than that, especcialy the 3000. I would upgrade the ram with an extra stick of 512.

hmmm 17:11 31 Dec 03

which applications are needed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009