Upgraded to WinXP - C drive is a B***ers muddle

Mike_R 11:55 24 Jun 04

I had at least three attempts of upgrading from Win98. The last one was, I thought, a clean upgrade. I can access my documents OK within WinXP apart, initially, from within a Basic program. After hunting around within "My Computer", I find that the C drive holds My Documents which is out-of-date plus three versions under Documents and Settings/Unique name/My Documents/My Documents.
Under Win98 the Basic program worked OK with just the My Documents address. Now I have to put the whole rigmarole.
This seems a complete mess and I was wondering whether I could just delete all the surplus out-of-date copies of files, or whether WinXP needs any of them. I also have some old files from Win98 despite the clean upgrade.

Forum Editor 12:52 24 Jun 04

as far as youir data files are concerned - Windows XP won't be interested in them. Make sure that you have checked to see that you have a safe copy of all files before you start work on deleting them.

Mike_R 13:44 24 Jun 04

Thanks. I will dump to disc and tidy up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…