upgraded to Win ME-- Where is usb?

amandawho 00:06 04 Oct 03

I have a computer that has been upgraded from Windows98 to Windows ME. I've plugged my printer into usb port and its not working. I cannot find USB Controllers in my Device Manager. Huh? What happened? Help! Do I need another driver? How can I remedy this?

Djohn 01:40 04 Oct 03

Not familiar with ME. But have found this on another site. Hope it's of some help.

Windows Me is the last version of the Win98 Operating System. Many Win98SE peripheral drivers will work on systems running the Me operating system, some will not. If you are experiencing problems with a USB device that requires non-native drivers, check with the manufacturer for a WinMe version of the software and drivers.

Bebee 08:01 04 Oct 03

Not had a problem with USB in ME. Appears in Device Manager - should install with the OS. You say it has been upgraded - so I assume you didn't do the upgrade - do you have the OS disks?

Are you sure there are no hardware problems with USB?

Mango Grummit 08:48 04 Oct 03

As with Bebee, it appears at the very bottom of the Device Manager list under "View devices by type".

gold 47 16:11 04 Oct 03

You should have no problem what so ever upgrading from W98 to WME as all your drivers are installed as your upgrading if you have a USB card check that it is seated in the PCI slot and has not worked loose if you have a driver disk that came with the USB card use it to reinstall the driver.

AL D. 16:29 04 Oct 03
  amandawho 21:36 05 Oct 03

thankyou.. i will look into these suggestions and get back if i need more advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…