Upgraded pc - can't boot system

Snowsride 21:48 22 Jun 08

I have just upgraded my PC with an ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU and Maxtor 80 gb hard drive with a SATA connection. I've also installed a DVD R/W with a SATA connection, an old DVD with an ATA connection, a Zip drive and a floppy drive.

The PC will not boot up. When the machine is powered up the hard disk light is on permanently but nothing else happens.

I've checked all the connections and, as far as I can see, they are OK.

Any help appreciated.

Strawballs 22:10 22 Jun 08

If more than one memory stick try taking them both out and putting them back in one at a time and booting before the next one goes in.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:33 22 Jun 08

The PC will not boot up. When the machine is powered up the hard disk light is on permanently but nothing else happens.

Does you hard drive contain windows?
It may be trying to boot with the wrong drivers for your new board.

ambra4 12:18 23 Jun 08

If the hard drive is the one that was being used with your old motherboard, CPU, etc, you have to do

a fresh XP install since you change the motherboard, CPU, and added other hardware the OS on the

hard drive will not boot up, as widows is looking for the old motherboard drivers, CPU, hardware,

etc.

If you need to save your data files, music files, etc you can install the hard drive in a second

computer as a slave drive copy the information that you need to save, reinstall in new machine and

do a fresh install of windows OS.

If the installing the old drive, as a slave is not possible on a second computer buy a new hard drive

And do a fresh windows install on the new drive, add the old drive as a slave drive, copy the

information that you need, reformat the old drive and use it as a back up for your music, pictures,

etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…