Upgrade from XP pro to Vista

GBL 12:55 15 Feb 08

If I install my copy of XP pro onto my second PC, a new system free laptop and do not go online to get the updates, will I then be able to install the Vista home premium? I only ask so that I can get up and running today whislt waiting for a new operating system. If my thinking is correct I should end up with two ligit systems.The XP disk has service pack 1 included but nothing else.

Gongoozler 17:04 15 Feb 08

Unless your XP Pro is an OEM version, you will have period of time to activate your XP Pro on the laptop. If you don't go online with the laptop you can phone Microsoft for the activation code. click here.
If your XP Pro is an OEM version it's locked to the computer it was first installed on.

Gongoozler 17:07 15 Feb 08

Sorry, I didn't spot the word "Upgrade". The answer to that is no you won't be able to activate your XP Pro on the second machine - so you will only be able to use it for a short time.

GBL 18:39 15 Feb 08

They have you all ways, thanks for the info.

Gongoozler 20:23 15 Feb 08

Unless you have already bought your Vista upgrade, what you could consider is buying an OEM version of Vista. You can buy this with a qualifying piece of hardware, such as a hard drive. The OEM version will be locked to the computer you install it on, and comes without any manuals.
click here

GBL 22:18 17 Feb 08

I have gone for the full OEM version as suggested, thanks.

Gongoozler 09:15 18 Feb 08

Just what I plan to do when I build my new PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced