Upgrade to XP

JohnC123 22:32 20 Aug 05

I have a laptop running on Windows ME and my main pc has been on Windows XP Pro for the past two years. Can I upgrade the laptop to XP by using my XP disk or do I need to buy a seperate upgrade disk ?

Completealias 22:51 20 Aug 05

You could use the disk but you wouldn't have a license for your laptop so you wouldn't be able to activate the copy of windows.

ade.h 22:56 20 Aug 05

The terms of the EULA restrict you to installing Microsoft OS's on one PC only. The MS Office EULA is more generous. If you try it, validation and activation of the OS after the maximum 30-day grace period will become a problem. Installing it to your laptop will render your desktop installation inelligible for updates if you go ahead with the validation process. For the cost of an upgrade copy, it's not worth breaking the license agreement, which you agreed to when your purchased/installed XP Pro.

AndySD 22:59 20 Aug 05

Be3fore you even start on this check with the Laptop Manufacturers website to see if it will run XP and are there a full set of XP drivers to download.

JohnC123 23:06 20 Aug 05

Thanks to all - looks like I'll have to buy an upgrade !

Completealias 23:25 20 Aug 05

But as AndySD said make sure your laptop is upto running xp before you go ahead click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…