Upgrade to XP.

wideboy 11:36 14 Mar 04

I want to upgrade to Windows XP as at the moment I am running ME (don't laugh - it came with my pc when I bought it). However I am not sure if I should by the upgrade version or the complete version because often in pcadvisor they have recommended doing a clean instal.

You can still do a "Clean" install with the upgrade version - all you will have to do is format the drive and then start to load Windows XP. When it starts looking for a previous version of Windows (To qualify for the upgrade) you simply take out the XP disk, insert the ME disk (If you have the disk that is - make sure it is not a restore CD) and then reinsert the XP disk to carry on. Just so long as you have a qualifying disk you dont have to upgrade "Over the top" of your existing installation

billyliv 11:45 14 Mar 04

Hi, To be safe I would start up ME, insert your XP disc, select instal, and XP will pick up your ME O.S. XP will then overwrite ME. Cheers, Bill

Of course this is an option, but then it rather defeats the object of a "Clean Install".

There are no "Safety" issues, so long as a genuine Win 98 or ME disk is to hand a completely clean installation is a walk in the park

leo49 12:10 14 Mar 04

You're both right in a way - inserting the XP disc will give you the option of upgrading or a clean install,so there's no need to format in advance.

billyliv 23:52 14 Mar 04

Hi, You do it your way, I do it mine. Being safe means the overwrite will keep all the important settings ie. internet, e.mail etc. Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…