upgrade to xp

RAINBOW2459 21:27 04 Dec 03

I want to upgrade to xp from win me but i am unsure how xp will react to this as i am always upgrading my system any help would be welcome
thanks

VoG II 21:30 04 Dec 03

First check that all your stuff is compatible with XP click here

RAINBOW2459 21:54 04 Dec 03

thanks vog but i've been told if you upgrade your xp system too much it stops working and becomes invaled

VoG II 21:55 04 Dec 03

You've been told wrong.

VoG II 21:58 04 Dec 03

If you install XP then keep changing the hardware then if, and only if, you have to re-install XP you may have to re-activate it. At worst this will involve a phone call to a number posted on the screen.

madPentium 22:04 04 Dec 03

there are many old wives tales floating around about xp and they are usually spread by people afraid of change. Ignore them.

TABBYCAT 10:06 08 Dec 03

IF YOUR SYSTEM IS MORE THAN SAY 18 MONTHS OLD, FORGET IT.
WINDOWS XP IS VERY GOOD ON MODERN HARDWARE AND IN CONJUNCTION WITH MODERN PROGRAMMES, IT DOESN'T BODE WELL WIT PRE XP SET UPS - THAT MEANS PRE MID 2001.
I KNOW, I LEARNT FROM EXPERIENCE (AND COST)

TimCDC 10:15 08 Dec 03

I read somewhere recently (I think it was the Q & A pages of the Jan edition of PCAdvisor) that XP will let you make changes to three of the main pieces of hardware (can't remember them all, but they did include things like sound and graphics cards as well as cpu and ram). If you make more than three changes, it will ask you simply to re-register, because it thinks you now have a new system. So, no big deal really.

TimCDC 13:14 08 Dec 03

and there is a question (and answer!) related to this on p. 188 of the Jan PCAdvisor. Essentially, the XP licence needs reactivating when more than 3 changes are made to the motherboard, processor, memory size, hard drive, CD drive, graphics adapter or network adapter.

Jester2K II 13:20 08 Dec 03

Rubbish my 2+ years old PIII 800 runs XP just fine. Its the spec of the PC (not the age that matters).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…