upgrade woes

staples printer cartridge 07:29 06 Sep 04

I have just upgarded my mobo and processor. I have never done it before. It all went rather well until I tried to make it work! The BIOS runs ok, but when windows tries to boot it just recycles back to the start again and again and again. No matter what I do. I have put my old configuration back together and it works fine. Any ideas? Should I contact the mobo manufacturer or bite the bullet and just pay someone to sort it out for me. I have tried to boot from my XP CD and refoemat the drive but this won't work either (but that is possibly due to a disc fault).

Diodorus Siculus 08:22 06 Sep 04

Sounds like you need to reinstall windows (new mobo needs new drivers I expect) - do you have a different XP disk that you can try? Paying someone else to do it will probably entail buying a new XP CD anyway.

staples printer cartridge 22:18 06 Sep 04

Does that mean microsoft will not supply a new disc? I have to buy windows again?

Diodorus Siculus 22:25 06 Sep 04

Sometimes MS will sell you a replacement disk for about £15 if my memory serves me correctly. No harm in phoning tham up if you have a full version (not OEM).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…