UPGRADE TO WINXP PRO FAILED

automan 15:32 25 Oct 03

I have pentium 3, 256 ram, 16mb shared video ram, 20 GB hard disk laptop. I tried to upgrade to winxp professional but with 39 mins remaining i get a message saying 'A fatal error has occured and the file D:\i386\ASMS is needed'. Also the parameters is incorrect.The laptop now is stuck in setup for winxppro and will not boot from the original winxp home cd rom.
help please

phoenix_one 15:43 25 Oct 03

have you backed up the data before the upgrade or can you afford to boot from the xp pro cd and delete the existing partition and reformat and clean install

automan 15:48 25 Oct 03

no option is given to boot from the xp pro cd and the ist screen says win xp pro, then it says setup is starting and the same error message occurs.
no data was backed up but I have all the original discs.

Djohn 16:23 25 Oct 03

click here;en-us;311755& Microsoft knowledge site. j.

Djohn 16:28 25 Oct 03

I'm never very good with the M/S links, but this is what it says and goes on to explain how to resolve. Maybe somone else will be able to provide a working link to the page. j :o(

When you install Windows XP, you may receive the following error message:

[Files Needed]

The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

Copy files from: GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM0\I386
CAUSE
This error message can occur if Setup is unable to communicate with the CD-ROM drive.

spikeychris 16:36 25 Oct 03

Your wish click here is my command :o)

automan 19:03 25 Oct 03

thanks guys solved the problem

Djohn 19:34 25 Oct 03

Thanks Chris ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…