upgrade from windows98 to 98SE tips please

steaknife 23:36 08 Aug 03

I am preparing for Adsl.The provider states that win 98se at least is necessary.I have win98 on a dell dimension v400. The dell website implies that upgrade to se is ok but not to more up-to- date os.i am a techno idiot.how do i go about this upgrade Please advise in simple language and let me know all pitfalls.

Tim1964 23:44 08 Aug 03

Do you have a 98SE upgrade disk?

It is a pity the added files can't be downloaded instead of needing a CDRom.

Which ADSL provider are you going for?

I was using win95 but had to upgrade to win98 to use NTL BB but win98 1st edition was good enough, I guess it was to do with using USB.

It might be worth contacting the provider to check that SE is definately required to save the hassle.

Tim1964 23:46 08 Aug 03

If you can get a win98SE disk then it's a matter of inserting the disk in the CDRom and selecting upgrade. It will overwrite the windows files but leave the rest intact, not necessarily the best way (over a clean install) but definitely the easiest.

krypt1c 09:41 09 Aug 03

The real problem might be getting hold of a copy of WIN98SE upgrade disc if you haven't got one. The only place I could find WIN98SE was a full copy of WIN98SE here (not an upgrade) click here

You might be able to pick up a copy at a computer fair click here

BTW I concur with Tim 1964 that a clean install is preferable

xania 15:28 10 Aug 03

Suggest you check out the Ebay auction site - they have a current bid of £10 on SE upgrade CD.
Certainly, do not try to install over the top. You are better off refpormatting and restarting - gets rid of all that chaff on the system. You will need to insert your old CD at some stage during the process. Alternatively, if you have the space on your HD, copy C:\ (or use a partition manager, and your right to use ythe upgrade is set up for you.

xania 15:29 10 Aug 03

Oops sorry.

Ebay - click here

SEASHANTY 15:44 10 Aug 03

Available 2 to 3 days at CDROM Cellar website
<click here> Windows 98 Second Edition
CD and Manual (OEM) price £72 plus £2-50 postage by
Royal Mail first class recorded delivery. Note that this OEM copy is the full product - not an upgrade.

steaknife 16:47 10 Aug 03

Thank you for the responses.Tim I have not bought a disc yet.The ADSL provider is eircom.
Xania when you advise "do not install over the top"does that mean you do not advise inserting disc and clicking upgrade?if so how do you reformat?does one lose files ie.old emails etc.can you explain the alternative you mentioned I have room on the hard disc. Could you recommend a partition manager if i feel capable of using it.I would hate to wreck my system having said that i want adsl in spite of monthly fee of over 50 euro

krypt1c 19:42 10 Aug 03

Steraknife - My preferred partition utility is Power Quest Partition Magic. It's currently up to Version 8, but Version 5 will do for you. It's often on the cover disc of computer mags. I know it was given away by PC Magazine in the June 2002 edition. Don't know if it has ever been on a PC Advisor disc. Maybe the FE can advise.

zinnie 19:54 10 Aug 03

hi steaknife

why mess around with windows 98SE in 2003..
go to windows XP...I have been through
95.98 ,98SE and now XP and it is way
ahead of the others.

If you are going to spend money ..move forwards
not backwards!!

SEASHANTY 11:47 11 Aug 03

If Dell have advised you that an update to 98SE is poassible but your current system precludes any later update than 98SE then the spec isn't all that good. You will currently be lacking USB1 never mind USB2. Prob have a 20GB HDD or less and a Motherboard with not much support for anything plus low graphics. It doesn't really seem worthwhile even updating to 98SE. You will not get the best out of ADSL Broadband with a low spec system and might be better off looking to purchase a second hand machine saywith a 40 to 60GB HDD Windows ME or XP. Perhaps one of the early P4's about 1.4GB. You will lose all your HDD info if you reformat to 98SE unless you backup your data first and this would be better done on another hard drive - hence my suggestion that you
get another computer. You can thgen transfer your original HDD to this machine and keep all your dta intact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…