Upgrade Windows 98 to XP pro

JONWILL 10:51 11 Jul 05

Is it possible to upgrade Windows 98 to XP pro. Office 2000 is installed as is Autocad 2000 and Project 2000.
Can this be done without reformatting the hard disk?
I'm using a Toshiba Satellite Pro4600 which is 5yrs old now. Ram is 383MB. Speed is 700MHz

Belatucadrus 11:14 11 Jul 05

click here worth reading first.

Kate B 11:14 11 Jul 05

Yes, you can do an upgrade installation but it will chug on that computer. I wouldn't recommend running XP with less than 512MB of ram, for starters.

spuds 11:50 11 Jul 05

I run a computer with XP and 384mb x 133pc of ram, and all seems to run fine and okay. But I would agree with Kate B, the more memory the better.

uisquebeathus 16:21 12 Jul 05

the upgrade to XP is only the start of a situation , the main problem I see is the registration after you have done the install is supposed to be for that computer and only that computer and its configuration and setup they (being Microsoft) make it very difficult to change the copy of XP onto another computer say newer computer at a later stage.

woodchip 16:38 12 Jul 05

It will work OK on a Desktop with 256Mb memory. If it's on a Laptop with only 256 it dose slow it a little bit but it does not Chug. As I have both and New computer. I did fit another 256 in the Laptop. It's not the memory that slows the Laptop. More the speed of the Hard Drive it's only 4.500rpm. And your CPU should be OK

go 4 a bigger hard drive & mobo in fact a new or rebuilt PC XP takes about 3Gig of HDD As stated do not fix XP to this PC it is too small and too old to give you all the benefits of XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…