Upgrade from win98SE to XP home

daisy2bell 14:51 03 Jan 05

A while back I upgraded from win98SE to XPhome.
I left win98SE on the computer just in case.

But I had problems with crashing etc. Someone on the forum said it would be better to delete win98SE completely and only have XP.

If I did this and it went wrong is there anyway back ,in otherwords can I install win98 again.
Is the spec below up to handling XPhome

Time 800 256 40gb HD

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:59 03 Jan 05

Windows will not let you install a system older than itself does not regard it as an upgrade.

Have you got a dual boot system i.e you can run windows 98 or XP? Or did you upgrade over the top of win98 and so can now only run XP?

REpair XP
click here
Type
sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.

This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

System File Checker
click here

JIM 15:02 03 Jan 05

Who ever suggested the deletion of win98 in my view is correct.The spec,you post so far would not be ideal for "me" to run Winxp but if the rest of your system was accepted during the install of Winxp then fair enough.

What i will say though (my own opinion) it's not at all an ideal speck to be running "Both Win98se and Winxp" So the posted suggestion still stands in my book.

daisy2bell 18:35 03 Jan 05

I installed XP over win98. So that when I had the problems I could just get rid of XP, which in the end I did and am at the moment running Win98SE.

Totally-braindead 18:49 03 Jan 05

If XP installs, which you said it did then your system is up to running XP. If you remove 98 totally and then install XP in my opinion you will end up with a more stable system as all the bits and pieces of 98 will be gone leaving only XP. You could reinstall 98 at a later date if you so wished but in order to do it you would of course need full Win 98 disks. Do you have full XP disks or is it just an upgrade, if its an upgrade then you can't just blank the computer and install XP, thats why I ask.

daisy2bell 19:03 03 Jan 05

I have a full version of win98SE, and an upgrade of XP home

JIM 20:06 03 Jan 05

Seeing what you have just posted, have you run the WinXP Upgrade Advisor from the upgrade disk and was it a positive result.

ladeezman 20:16 03 Jan 05

A fresh install is always best and once you can do it you need have no fear as you know you can always get back to a nice new pc.

BUT

you must have all the drivers you need, all your data backed up and all the software you need to install.

I pretty much follow the guide at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac