upgrade WIN98 to 2k error: Office2kPro not working

grim_reefer 16:35 28 Nov 03

i recently had to upgrade my mothers computer at work up to Windows2000 to allow for her portable slimline USB cd rewriter to be compatible - also the computer is being sold soon and thats just a little extra feature - having win2000 instead of '98.... but it caused manyyyy a problem and today was the second day ive spent at work on it - the original major problem was "SCVHOST.EXE has generated errors and will be closed etc etc etc" message occurring at times (especially when connected to the internet) - and then cannot run many programs or perform functions such as Copy and Paste.. which i thought was to do with the Blaster worm after some articles i read online ...... anyhow, that problem has now been solved thanks to downloading and installing updates from microsoft - but there is still a major problem - and i would really appreciate some quick help as all the business's work is done on computer and now ermmm... nothing can be done!!...... many of the hardware/software had to have the drivers updated for windows 2000 (as they were configured for windows 98 before).. but i do not have the CD for Microsoft Office 2000 Pro anymore.. all the files are installed on the computer, everything is there... just when you try to launch an Office application or a file associated with them - it brings up and install dialog and asks for the MSOffice2000Pro CD - which i dont have.. and no matter wether you cancel retry or whatever - it eventually comes up one of a small selection of error messages (depending on what you was trying to open or access) basicly saying that the program is not installed

strange thing is - before i downloaded the updates and the SVCHOST error was still occuring - Office programs/files would load - but just not through a shortcut or link.. you would have to load the Office program from its location on the hard-drive, and then open the file after... but since installing the windows updates - this cant even be done

i attempted downloading updates for office but again (and after waiting like an hour(?) for download) it said i do not have the expected version office installed to update or something like that

all the files are there for Office2000Pro and they was working fine before - does anyone know how i can fix this problem!!! i dont think i cant get the CD for office2000pro again and borrowed an officeXP cd to upgrade to and install that instead but sections of the cd was faulty and wouldnt work

please we need help with this! MSoffice (particularly word access and excel) are an important part of our business system at work and basicly what was being done before cant function now - particularly because i wrote small program with excel and its visual basic that do most of what she has to do on the computer - and now they obviously cant be used

very annoying because yestaday everything could still be done (except browse the internet or go to windowsupdate for very long) but all the paperwork for outgoing goods could still be done opening the programs the way i mentioned before, now ive made it worse by solving the other problem with SVCHOST crashing and meaning the computer would need resettting before it would function proper

surely there must be a "simple" way for me to make the DAMN STUPID F***IN' computer realise that Office2000Pro is installed and all the files are there! surely i can manually configure this?? anyone help?? (my mums more desperate - its her n my dads business - and she needs to do invoicing which uses excel....... it matters to me coz of them but also as its my livelyhood too)

but if worse comes to worse and nothing can still be done until i have a functioning cd for office - then she will have to do her paperwork on erm.. paper.. but with a pen! and one of those calculator things i think they may be called

help...?

VoG II 16:57 28 Nov 03

When it asks for the CD is it asking for an SP-1 CD? If so click here

Otherwise, I don't think there's much you can do without an Office CD.

grim_reefer 17:19 28 Nov 03

nope it is asking for the office 2000 professional cd

as a last resort i guess we will have to try installing windows98se and see if they work then - and if not then reinstalling windows98 back again.. but stil this isnt guaranteed to make the office programs work again like they used to is it??? i checked in the windows registry and while all the office programs still appear there - no details are available ans aays they need to be installed! (then again this could just be how microsoft programmed windows 2000 to react if a computer is upgraded by not letting office and other programs function until the installation cd is put in a drive! to stop the program files being copied from one machine to another - which in theory is what has happened by upgrading the operating system the computer is running)

we do not want to pay several hundreds £££s when we already have all the required files on the hard drive and the programs are on the system

Jester2K II 17:43 28 Nov 03

er Sorry but phrases like

"i dont think i cant get the CD for office2000pro again"

and

"borrowed an officeXP cd to upgrade to"

and

"we do not want to pay several hundreds £££s when we already have all the required files on the hard drive and the programs are on the system "

lead me to believe this isn't a legal installation of Office 2000?!

Yes / No??

Forum Editor 17:51 28 Nov 03

1. Next time you use a swear word, and disguise it with asterisks I'll delete your thread immediately.

2. If, as you say, the Office 2000 Pro files are on the computer already, how did they get there? It can only be because you installed them from the CD which you say you can't find, and if you can't find it there's nothing that any of us can do.

The problem has been caused by your installation of Windows 2000, and you've probably made things worse by 'borrowing' an Office XP CD and attempting to upgrade an already malfunctioning installation. If you don't have the properly licenced software there's absolutely nothing you can do, you'll have to find the CD that you've lost.

recap 18:04 28 Nov 03

A cheaper option than getting Office 2K Pro would be to buy Works.

But as others have said if it is an "ILLEGAL" install then there isn't much anybody can do for you.

grim_reefer 19:24 28 Nov 03

office 2000 professional was installed from the original office 2000 professional cd over a year ago but it belongs to a friend and they can not find it any more

and it has always worked fine until now

and no trying to install xp didnt mess it up because the installation of office xp would not work at all - the disc was damaged - and besides how would that damage it anyway? :-\ how else would i "upgrade" without installing from the cd?

sorry for the swearing - no offense intended, the text was copied from somewhere else and i forgot so i apologize

Jester2K II 19:27 28 Nov 03

"office 2000 professional was installed from the original office 2000 professional cd over a year ago but it belongs to a friend and they can not find it any more "

So it is an illegal installation?

grim_reefer 19:28 28 Nov 03

and thanks for the adivce but works wont do - we already have a few version of that and the files arent compatible - we cannot even open any of our thousands of (Excel) files which are customers goods advice notes and invoices! and cannot do any new ones either.. i will have to recreate them in works spreadsheet as a temporary measure but theres also all the visual basic code i wrote with excel which is needed to run and cannot with works ... well it cannot even be accessed right now can it!..... cannot open the database of our catalogue and all our parts and prices and details either which is in Access

grim_reefer 19:28 28 Nov 03

and thanks for the adivce but Works wont do - we already have a few version of that and the files arent fully compatible - we cannot even open any of our thousands of (Excel) files which are customers goods advice notes and invoices! and cannot do any new ones either.. i will have to recreate them in works spreadsheet as a temporary measure but theres also all the visual basic code i wrote with excel which is needed to run and cannot with works ... well it cannot even be accessed right now can it!..... cannot open the database of our catalogue and all our parts and prices and details either which is in Access

VoG II 19:29 28 Nov 03

"but it belongs to a friend"

who presumably has Office installed on their machine.

This is then an "illegal" installation!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…