Upgrade to Win SP2

iscanut2 10:44 26 Jan 06

I have put this off for ages but now feel I ought to install the Service Pack. I am sure this has all been answered in the past but just a couple of questions. Will having Win Media Player 10 upset things as I think SP2 has ver 9 in it. Should I remove 10, upgrade and then reinstall it ? Should I disable my AVG anti Virus & Firewall when installing and then switch off the Win XPFirewall and reactivate my own ? Should I also disable all antispyware programs whilst installing the patch ?
Thanks

SANTOS7 10:58 26 Jan 06

click here=
any of the links will give you good info on what to do before installing SP2.
But as i read it you have two firewalls, only one!!
as two will almost certainly cause software conflict.
After the install of SP2 some say you should defrag your HDD as the install alters some file systems,

iscanut2 20:49 26 Jan 06

Thanks Santos7.
I have read through most of this previously, but cannot see specific answers to the questions I raised unless I have missed them !
I only have one firewall installed, so do not want the Win XP one which I understand is on by default, hence my question about disabling mine during the instal of SP2.
Thanks for taking the time to respond anyway.

VoG II 20:53 26 Jan 06

You should not need to disable anything. Just install.

After installing you may then need to disable the Windows firewall.

iscanut2 21:13 26 Jan 06

Thanks VoG.. Any ideas re Media Player version causing problems ?

VoG II 21:15 26 Jan 06

I'm pretty sure that the SP2 install program will recognise that you have a newer version of WMP and will not attempt to install Version 9.

iscanut2 10:57 27 Jan 06

Thanks all..will bite the bullet this weekend !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…