Upgrade from Win 3.1 to Win 95/98

fakir 18:46 11 Jun 04

I managed to obtain an old PC running Win 3.1. I wish to change it to run eithr Win 95 or Win 98. Tried to make a system start up disk using sys C: a: before formatting but no luck. Any help pl.

SANTOS7 18:51 11 Jun 04

click here this may help

jack 20:18 11 Jun 04

probalby not worth the trouble
Machines tend to be built around a system.
The processor and memory available would not handle this very well if at all.
At best it would be very slow.
At worst it simply would not run because there are not enough resources available

jack 20:18 11 Jun 04

probalby not worth the trouble
Machines tend to be built around a system.
The processor and memory available would not handle this very well if at all.
At best it would be very slow.
At worst it simply would not run because there are not enough resources available

woodchip 20:29 11 Jun 04

Download the Win98se OEM boot disc from click here Put a clean disc in the comp and double click the download it will create the boot disc then start with Floppy disc just let it load until it gets to A:\> then type Format C:
when it gets to the end of format it asks for a volum just press enter key it will bring you back to A:\> now reboot and choose start with CD-ROM support put the Windows CD in the computer If the CD drive letter was D:\ it will now be E:\ so after it as loaded Ram drive and got back to A:\> type E:\ and press enter then type setup and press enter

fakir 12:36 13 Jun 04

woodchip - shall I do what you advised on the PC I am to upgrade or on another?

bremner 12:41 13 Jun 04

You can create the boot disk on any machine.

then follow woodchips advice from "then start..." at the end of the first line of his/her posting in the machine you want to load W95 on.

fakir 12:46 13 Jun 04

I tried this but PC gave me "cannot load DOS" when tried the floppy boot up

bremner 15:28 13 Jun 04

It would seem the machine may not be looking to boot from the floppy first.

You will need to go into the BIOS and check the floppy is the first boot device.

fakir 18:25 18 Jun 04

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I checked and adjusted BIOS and still it is giving me "DOS cannot be loaded".. Can the floppy be the culprit? I downloaded and using the win 98 Se boot disk.

keith-236785 21:06 18 Jun 04

i think the reason might be because the win98 disk is the wrong version of dos, does this pc have a cdrom?

leave the win98 startup floppy in the drive and reboot your pc. on startup you should get a menu

choose option2 "start without cdrom support", let it load fully till you get the prompt

A:>

if you get this far, you should be able to format the hard drive and then re-install windows 95/98 (personal chioice would be 98 but the pc might be too slow for 98)

i would reccomend a format and re-install as you dont really know what is on the pc already and you might get problems.

windows 95 will run on a 486 with 8mb ram (i know cos that was my first home build), windows98 will need at least 16mb ram and will still work albeit slowly on a 486.

windows ME was the first of the windows family to insist on processor speed before instalation (it wont install on my old laptop with its 133mhz proc)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009