Upgrade from W2K Pro to XP Pro advice wanted

krypt1c 03:01 03 Oct 03

I'm doing the prep before upgrading from W2k Pro to XP Pro. I've done the compatabilty check. I've backed up my non-ms drivers. I already save my data files etc to a separate partition. I intend to do a clean install, rather than just upgrade. Any advice / recommendations appreciated.

Lozzy 08:09 03 Oct 03

Go for it.. you apear to have done everything..

leo49 08:19 03 Oct 03

It's quite simple but you must read the prompt screens VERY carefully as they come up one by one.At virtually every stage MS tries to dissuade you from doing a clean install with warning screen after warning screen. The keys to press to continue changes at every turn so careful attention is necessary - I know several otherwise intelligent people who've made a complete horlicks of it by not paying enough attention.Good luck.

Chief-Engineer 14:01 03 Oct 03

Have you considered a dual boot system ?

If you have another partition other than your w2k o/s partition (very important) and the partition where you have backed up your files or if you have another HDD, you can set up a dual boot configuration.

You can then use all your w2k applications, saving your data to the intermediate partition where you now have your files, from which you can access when in XP.

The target partition or drive you use for your XP installation does not even need to be empty as long as it has no other o/s files on it and enough room to accept XP and all the programmes you expect to use (consider how much you are using now as a rough guess as to the space you need). I do suggest an independant partition though for your shared data to keep things neat.

krypt1c 21:21 03 Oct 03

Just bumping. Thanks for the comments so far ;-)

y_not 06:38 04 Oct 03

Will be watching closely - I'm just awaiting a rainy day to start the same process on mine.

AndySD 07:57 04 Oct 03

Since you are doing a clean install its simple click here and at Number 7 format the drive.....

leo49 08:28 04 Oct 03

If you start from within Windows 2k and insert your Xp Pro disk you'll encounter different screens and options than in the above click here - the destination's the same but the signposts are different.

AndySD 08:32 04 Oct 03

Ooops sorry leo49 is correct.

While running Windows 2000, insert the XP CD in the drive. When the setup menu appears, select "New Installation" (clean install) from the pull-down menu. Also, select "Advanced" and place checkmarks in the two boxes. Next, your computer will start copying files and then reboot. At this point, select the c drive/partition . Select the option to "format" this partition using either FAT32 or NTFS.

After the drive/partition is formatted, XP will begin the setup process and install "clean".

But I prefer to boot from the cd.

krypt1c 23:39 16 Oct 03

Thanks all. Have got hold of my u/g disc so will be doing the biz soon. Am closing now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…