Upgrade Video Card

Newuser618 19 Aug 11

I wish to upgrade my video card for my 7-year-old Desktop PC. The current one is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600. The operating system is Windows 7 Service Pack 1. The Mainboard is ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 'P4SD-LA' with 2GB memory. Can anyone recommend a suitable card considering the age of the PC. I play some games but I mainly use Photoshop CS3 for correcting/changing pictures. Many Thanks.

rdave13 19 Aug 11

A good thread to read about the same motherboard. Link

Some AGP cards on Amazon

Check your PSU.

Newuser618 19 Aug 11

Thank you rdave13 - I am still bewildered by the choice. Have not been able to find the power of my PSU.

rdave13 19 Aug 11

You will need to open the case and check the wattage of the PSU. Usually printed on a sticker.

Here is an image of an AGP card, AGP

PCI-E card, PCI-E

When you open the PC just confirm the slot available is for AGP and I think that a 400 to 500 Watt PSU is sufficient if you go for cards recommended on the thread I linked to.

rdave13 19 Aug 11

I should add that if you need a higher wattage PSU check the dimensions of it so it fits in your case. The first time I did this I labelled all the connections with sticky labels.

Newuser618 20 Aug 11

Thanks once again rdave13 I can now tell the difference between the cards' connections. The PSU is 500 watt - hopefully I won't have to replace it. I have 1 AGP expansion slot (half used shared PME), 3 PCI expansion slots (1 half used, 2 half available all shared PME). 32 bit, Power is 3.3v. From this I gather I have a choice of cards.

rdave13 20 Aug 11

Yes. Check out the reviews on different cards on Amazon. Something like this Scroll down for the reviews or start a new thread asking for advice on the best AGP card for your budget.

gengiscant 20 Aug 11

Your 500W PSU is more than enough for any AGP card. These two are probable the best AGP cards(if you can find them)AMD (ATI) 3850 or 4670, though there was a 6800GT AGP too, and,I think,a 7000 series.

Found this, AGP which is silly money to spend on an AGP card.

Newuser618 20 Aug 11

Thank you both for your recommendations. The AGP found by gengiscant is far more than I could justify paying and I agree silly money. I will let you know what I finally end up with. Many thanks for your help and advice.

rdave13 20 Aug 11

This one looks good and reasonably priced, 4670

Newuser618 21 Aug 11

The 4670 card you recommend seems to take two slots. Also I cannot find anywhere that says it will be OK with Windows 7. Does this mean that AGP cards do not work well with Windows 7. Would I be better off using a PCI slot.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message