Upgrade v Replacement

Widdle 23:31 30 Mar 03

Hello, treat me gently this is my first post!

I have an Evesham computer, vintage 1999, with a 550 mhz AMD K7 processor and AMD 751 motherboard, upgrades to date - Windows XP, 40 GB hard disk, 640 MB memory.

Things that I'd like to change:

Monitor - currently Taxan Ergovision 45 TCO99 like to go for 15-17' LCD
Processor - like to go for most up to date as poss
Motherboard - don't know if this needs upgrading to accommodate new processor

Any help/feedback gratefully received, main uses are gaming Medal of Honour and Splinter Cell (still in the box!) and internet.

Let me know if I have missed out on any obvious info and I'll add, having just done the Belarc test!

Thanks very much.

D

woodchip 23:35 30 Mar 03

You need a new box as your's will be a AT system so you need a ATX case not expensive new motherboard and CPU AMD XP

woodchip 23:43 30 Mar 03

Or if yu want something quick and simple nearly a comp in a box but not upgradeble but at this price you cannot grumble click here
click here
click here

Switcher 00:01 31 Mar 03

It's rarely worth upgrading. Better to buy complete system. Prices are reasonable at any local computer assembler.

Tog 07:37 31 Mar 03

If it wasn't for upgrades I'd have to do the gardening!

Widdle 21:25 01 Apr 03

Thanks for your input. New motherboard and AMD XP processor it is! Any advice on best motherboard?

woodchip 21:40 01 Apr 03

Well mine is ECS K7S6A and would not swop for any. very reliable and stable but it only take's DDR not SDRAM it as also got onboard sound that can be disabled if you want to add a board and it's plenty of USB's just two at the back but headers for front and back it will take 333 mem click here

pj123 21:50 01 Apr 03

Try this site click here and look at special offer and systems and bundles.

Widdle 23:04 01 Apr 03

Thanks Woodchip and pj123, useful websites

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…