Upgrade system, Windows XP will not update

z00ropa 15:01 08 Aug 06

Ok, this is what happened:

My video card or motherboard died on my old system, so I wanted to upgrade anyways, so I bought a new processor, motherboard, and video card.

Of course thanks to Windows XP wonderful security feature of registering by system specs, windows wouldn't start. Ok, so I repaired Windows XP. Bye bye SP2.

Ok, so now I can get into Windows ok, there are some errors that keep poping up, but I can get on the internet. So, now when I try to update windows, I get errors with the update, and I keep getting a message saying I may have an illegal copy of Windows XP. Illegal my [bleep]. Anyways, anyone have any clue how I can fix this, without having to.... whipe my hard drive and do a clean install, or doing a partition which I know will just casue me problems.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Pamy 15:35 08 Aug 06

contact Microsoft. see other threads also ,do a search on this site

DieSse 15:46 08 Aug 06

It all depends on what type ofcopy of XP you have.

If you have an OEM version that came with your system (where the licence code is on a sticker on your system) - then since upgrading your motherboard (even though you were forced to by a failure) - then you are not entitled to use that copy of WinXP ever again.

If you have a full retail version of WinXP (it will have come in a box) - then you are entitled to transfer that from any system to any system, as long as it's only on one system at a time.

If the latter, you have only to contact MS and they will re-authorise your copy. It's a free call, and they are usually very helpful and responsive.

z00ropa 15:55 08 Aug 06

I have a full retail version, that I bought when I built my previous system. I will call microsoft. Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…