upgrade sucess ! nearly

morph76 20:41 01 Aug 06

Thanks to the ppl that gave me their adveice on what to upgrade in my pc, i've up'ed my RAM, changed the power supply and the graphics card and i have to say its looking and running perfect....but theres just one minor niggle. re-activating my copy of windows. i searched through the threads and couldnt find an answer but i hope its simple.when i go to start, accessories, and to activate windows, all im getting is a new window which is blank, and stays blank. any ideas?

sean-278262 20:43 01 Aug 06

Odd. Have you got anything else running?

morph76 20:48 01 Aug 06

The only things ive running are zone alarm and avg free edition ? in the task bar when i right click on the icon, which is like a star, it says 'validation failure details'. this takes me to microsofts site which then tells me how to validate, but the same thing happens every time

morph76 21:17 01 Aug 06

Typed it into google, it looks like ive a registry problem

woodchip 21:24 01 Aug 06

disable zonealarm

woodchip 21:26 01 Aug 06

validation failure details Means you have a Pirate copy of XP. Or so they say

morph76 21:31 01 Aug 06

Thanks woodchip. I tried disabling zone alarm and avg but to no avail. The copy of XP came installed when i bought the pc from evesham 3yrs ago

woodchip 22:48 01 Aug 06

Then you need to contact MS to see what they say

brundle 22:54 01 Aug 06
  morph76 23:07 01 Aug 06

ty brundle think thats what im gonna have to try

morph76 23:00 02 Aug 06

Well i tried the microsoft support answer that brundles link goes to and i got lost. The first 2 parts didnt work, my registry entry was as it is in meant to be in the article, the Oobe.inf file install isnt possible as i only have a rescue disk, although when i right clicked there was no install option so maybe its already there? And although both regsvr32 commands were successful i still have a blank activation screen. Maybe have to ring them to re-activate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…