Upgrade to SATA ?

Indigo 1 13:23 05 Jun 05

For som time now I have been considering using the SATA interface instead of the IDE connectors. When I first set up my PC I ran into problems with the SATA so just connected with the IDE cables for simplicity and it has been fine but I feel I am not taking full advantage of the capabilies of my PC. (I saw my friends new build the other night and was astounded by it's speed so I want to try to get mine up to speed !)

My hardware is capable of SATA ; Mobo is Abit AT-7MAX2 with Serial ATA (Marvel 8030) onboard controllers Marvel 88i8030 x2, supports SATA data tranfer rates of 150 MB/sec. My master HDD is Maxtor Diamond Max 9 which is also SATA ready.

There are two main questions,

1) Can I just swap the cable over from IDE to SATA and will it work or will I need to format the drive and load everything from new ?

2) Can I use 1 HDD on SATA and the slave on IDE or do they need to have the same connections (IDE or SATA) ?

And thirdly but not so important, will I notice a speed difference ?

Joe R 13:33 05 Jun 05

Indigo 1,

I don't think you will notice a speed difference.

Unsure about swapping the cables straight over, and the H/d working.

My own was a clean install on the Epox 9NPA+ Ultra, and the drive was automatically detected.
The biggest benefit I have noticed, is in the performance of my two optical drives, as both are now set as master, on their own IDE channel.

I don't think it would cause any harm, by switching your drive from IDE, to SATA, and see if it boots as normal.

Also check the bios settings, to see if your first boot device, has a setting for this.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:42 05 Jun 05

It is unlikely that there will be any speed difference that is noticeable.

G

Indigo 1 13:42 05 Jun 05

Cheers Joe R, I will wait for more input and advice before I go ahead.

I had problems with SATA when I first built this PC and just wanted to get it going so stuck in IDE cables, I don't think my HDD was automatically detected or something. I have gone throught he mobo manual but it is not very helpful on this matter (only 1 paragraph on setting up SATA) so any help or useful links appreciated.

bremner 13:54 05 Jun 05

Are you saying your Maxtor has both IDE and SATA connections. If so can you say what model as I have never come across one of those.

Indigo 1 13:59 05 Jun 05

I realise that Gandalf but at the moment I am not running it at full potential so I am attempting to do so.

Every little helps.

Joe R 14:01 05 Jun 05

click here

not a lot to go on.

Indigo 1 14:06 05 Jun 05

I have been there but they don't really have an answer for this question.

leo49 14:16 05 Jun 05

I think you ought to think this out again.

A Diamondmax 9 comes in 3 different subspecies:

ATA with 2mb buffer

ATA with 8mb buffer

OR

SATA

click here

As Bremner implied there is no dual purpose ATA/SATA Maxtor.

There are a lot of factors influencing a PC's speed not just theoretical transfer rates.

Indigo 1 14:34 05 Jun 05

Yes of course you are correct. The mainboard is supplied with a 'Serillel Adapter' click here which means that you can connect any IDE HDD to the SATA connector. But it will only run at the speed of the HDD not at the maximum speed of SATA, so there would be little advantage.

I will give it a try anyway (out of curiosity) and if I have any problems will start a new thread.

I am just attempting to get the most out of this (now) outdated hardware and am trying to see where the bottlenecks are and if there is any way to improve things a little.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…