Upgrade question? what CPU?

JUSZO 21:33 03 Mar 03

Hi there...Got a compaq presario 5000 series, model 5wv296. It has a compaq 06E4h motherboard running an AMD athlon 1 Ghz processor. (thunderbird???)
I would like to upgrade the processor but retain this motherboard if that is possible. How would I find out which cpu's were compatible with my motherboard? and what the maximum speed (Ghz) my motherboard could accomodate?
Hope that makes sense....please help.

goonerbill 22:40 03 Mar 03

the only info i can find about your system at the moment is on a dutch site and it mentions athlon 1100, which you will notice very little difference if any from ya 1ghz

goonerbill 22:56 03 Mar 03

just looked at compaq/hp web site and looks as if they dont like ya upgrading. cant find any info of what the max cpu ya mobo can take

David-277685 23:01 03 Mar 03

run Belarc Advisor which you can download free from click here run it and tell us which mobo it says you have then it will be easier to advise as to an upgrade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…