Upgrade Question

DW9047 20:51 13 Jul 03

What is the maximum upgrade I can do for this PC.
It is a PC purchased from Time about 3-4 years ago - 366M02GB2 AMD 500/VIA/13/64, it has a 12Gb HD. That is all I know about it, sorry.

I would like to look at Processor, HD and RAM.

Thanks

LastChip 21:03 13 Jul 03

But if its a Time machine, probably very little, and almost certainly, for the minimal performance gain you will get, it will not be cost effective.

The reasons for this are;

Time use proprietary parts in many cases, which means that they work as configured, but do not allow an up-grade path.

It is likely you will also find a minimum specification Power Supply, which itself will limit any possible options.

Your best bet, is to keep your monitor, keyboard , mouse etc, and build a new "case only" machine. So you get a new case and power supply, motherboard, processor, and memory, but use your existing CD/RW, floppy and so on, to complete the new machine.

Overall, you will end up with a far superior machine, at minimal cost.

DW9047 21:10 13 Jul 03

LastChip,
Thanks for the response.
As this is my friends PC, I would have liked to at least give them an option. I am with you all the way, Keep the good bits and ditch the crap.
How do I find out the motherboard make and model?
From this I can look up myself the upgrade possibilities...

Thanks

VoG II 21:30 13 Jul 03

Download this little utility - it will list the mobo etc. click here

clayton 21:32 13 Jul 03

you could try AIDA32 - system information tool from here click here

DW9047 22:16 13 Jul 03

VoG & clayton, thanks for those downloads, very useful little tools, I like them.
Unfortunately and very sorry to mention this now, but the Time PC in question has a kaputt Hard drive so I cannot get the downloads on to run on the PC.
This is why looking at upgrade option as I will have to get a new HD for the PC anyway.
Is there another way to get the mobo details.

Thanks

Quiller. 22:52 13 Jul 03

LastChip is spot on, in my view.

It looks as if your friends board has an amd 500 super seven chip. The highest it will go is 550Mhz.

The hard drive is 12 gig so the max will probably be 32gig.

It will probably have 100mhz sdram, this is still usable.

A cheap option would be to get a atx case, if you need one, a socket "A" board and a 1gig duron chip. About £100. Fit a 30,40,60 or 80gig hard drive and it will be a reasonable system.
click here

click here

click here
click here

All of this comes to just over £100

DW9047 10:54 14 Jul 03

Thanks all,

I won't waste any more time on this.

Cheers
Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…