upgrade question

gengiscant 21:13 24 Oct 08

As I use my PC mainly for gaming,would I gain much by upgrading my CPU from this AMD Athlon 64 4000+ to this AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHZ 1MB CACHE 939 E6.

In an ideal world and more funds I would like to upgrade MOBO but that is not possible at the moment.
Grateful for your views.

Totally-braindead 21:29 24 Oct 08

Very doubtful in my opinion. I do see some games now that are optimised for dual core processors and in the case of these games it should allow you to run them whereas the 4000 might not cope.
But in the case of a non optimised game I really doubt as to whether there would be any discernable difference.

Thats my opinion, I'm ready to be corrected if someone knows better.

grey george 21:45 24 Oct 08

I'ts very hard to say. If your games are old they may not be written to take advantage of the dual cores so may in fact run slower. I have always found with upgrades it's best to save up until you can get the most up to date mobo, so you can then add hi-grade components as you can afford them.

mrwoowoo 21:48 24 Oct 08

To my mind it's worth it although i don't know how much that CPU costs..
If you use your pc mainly for gaming then as Totally-braindead states,it will allow you to carry on playing the latest games which all seem to be going down the duel core route.
If you have or can upgrade to a decent GPU then it will bide you valuable gaming time until you eventually get a new system.
Only you can decide if it's worth it compared to saving up for a new system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…