Upgrade to play Sims 3

AbbyD 17:31 07 Jan 09

Hello everyone,

Ok, my system specs are not good enough to play Sims 3. I was wondering what I would need to replace in my computer to be able to play it smoothly and in a decent amount of detail. I dont want to have to tune the game down!

The minimum specs for Sims 3 are: a 128 MB GeForce FX 5900 or Radeon 9500 graphics card running on a Pentium IV 2.0 GHz or Athlon XP 2000+ CPU with 1 GB of RAM under Windows XP (sp2)

Thing is these are the minimum specs, so I'm assuming I'd need something like twice the power to play it at it's best right (or am I wrong?)

My current specs are:

Windows XP (sp2)
1gb Ram
Athlon 2.6 processor
256 nvidia graphics card
Not sure what the motherboard is but its over 2 years old...

Would I have to replace everything or could I just replace a couple of things like RAM and graphics card?

Thankyou in advance for any replies.

brundle 00:11 08 Jan 09

Get a full spec-list for your system with Belarc click here. Need to know motherboard make/model, and graphics hardware make/model.

mrwoowoo 01:32 08 Jan 09

I would say you only need to replace the graphics card.
What is an Nvidia 256?
Do you mean a 256mb card?If so which model?

AbbyD 19:12 08 Jan 09

I've just checked through my computer properties and the actual graphics card I have is a Connect 3D Radeon 9550 and the processor is a AMD Sempron 2800 1.6ghz (dont know where I got athlon and nvidia from :/)

Is there any way I could find out what motherboard I have without taking my computer apart?

Thankyou for the replies

brundle 19:54 08 Jan 09

Yes by running the software I already linked to

Joe R 19:57 08 Jan 09

AbbyD,

my daughter runs this software, on an HP/Compaq laptop, with onboard graphics.

She has no problems with her frame rates.

brundle 20:18 08 Jan 09

Sims 3 isn't out yet

AbbyD 20:49 08 Jan 09

Sorry Brundle, I misread your earlier post. I've downloaded the software and this is the info on motherboard: WinFast 760GXK8MC

brundle 21:06 08 Jan 09

You'll only get a marginal performance increase from a processor upgrade - and you won't be able to get a new CPU, your board supports a chip 2 generations old.
Your board also has the older AGP graphics card connector but plenty of decent cards can still be obtained that will easily meet the minimum specs.
Something like the 7300GT from here ( click here ) will easily manage, and won't force you to upgrade your power supply to cope. I can't advise on ATI kit, I've only ever had NVidia graphics cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced