livewire 13:20 01 Jan 05

My old family computer runs:

650mhz AMD Athlon
nVidia RIVA TNT2 32mb
128mb SDRAM (Base 1)
Free Base Slots (Base 0, Base 2)
2x IDE Hard Drives
Running Windows XP Home.

I was wondering if I could fit a RAM upgrade in Base 2? 128 + 128 = 256mb. Reason being Windows XP runs soo slowly on a 128mb 650mhz system. Would an upgrade of RAM make any difference? Or is the processcor speed too low to make any effect?

ACOLYTE 13:24 01 Jan 05

Dont scrap it this should run xp fine but the ram upgrade is a good idea 128 is a tad low for xp,its ram hungry and will love more ram,it should also speed it up.

pj123 13:49 01 Jan 05

I agree with ACOLYTE, don't scrap it. If it is doing what you want just upgrade the memory. Get the largest amount of memory you can afford (up to 1gb for XP), even if it means losing the 128mb you already have.

I know someone who is still running a 166mhz PC with only 64mb ram. He says: "it does what I want so why should I change". Can't argue with that.

dan11 13:50 01 Jan 05

It would certainly perform better with more ram, but and theres always a but, the price of sdram is high. A 512Mb dimm, if the board would support this, is £64.61.click here While the same 512Mb of pc2100 ddr is only £49.34p.click here

If you spent the difference £16 on a click here This would bring your system up to a reasonable level. for £65. Your case,cpu, graphics card( is it pci?) and the rest should work fine from the board. You should get £15 to £20 back for the sdram and if you want to upgrade in the future the board would take more ram and a much faster cpu.

LinuxPenguin 17:33 01 Jan 05

dont buy off crucial, but DO use their system checker. on their main page, there is a slect your manufacturer box, click it, on the next page there is a link to system checker...

use that info to get your mobo model numebr which you can use on ebuyer.co.uk who sell crucial products but cheaper (january sale)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…