To Upgrade or to Buy?

lodger 14:16 01 May 04

I may need to upgrade my Intel socket 7 motherboard, with 233 MMX, so that I can at last buy a cam before i lose all my hair. .......I have an AT case instead of the modern ATX.....should I try to fit a new motherboard, or simply buy a basic atx case plus cpu?

Dowman 14:42 01 May 04

Is it worth the aggravation in purchasing a case and m/board and CPU etc. When companies like Dell are selling pcs for £499. With free double memory, free delivery or even a free 17" flat screen monitor.

Sometimes upgrading your own pc means buying new m/board new processor, new memory etc. It all add to the cost and also there always a risk that the components are not compatible and may give problems.

rickf 14:44 01 May 04

I agree with previous post. It is only worth upgrading when you don't have to do what amounts to rebuilding a system. Alternatively, build your own.

Leejg 14:49 01 May 04

I've just upgraded my Pc, salaving some parts from the old one. In the end I haven't save that much money considering the above links and what you can get for your money. But it has taught me a lot more on the way about them than simply buying one.

961 15:56 01 May 04

The other thing to consider is which operating system you are currently using

If you are going to be into digital photography and have not got windows xp then bear in mind that you are probably going to need to upgrade. A new computer from Dell etc will come with this installed, and Dell machines usually provide a copy of xp. That's got to be worth £60 min that you would need to spend if you start to upgrade.

On top of that, I think you need an ATX case plus motherboard bundle with processor and memory. That's around £200

If money is tight you can always buy without a monitor, using the one you have now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…