Upgrade options

Dirk Diggler 15:46 16 Jun 07

I am currently running an emachines 370 with a 1.6 processor and 512 (PC2100) RAM

Since puchasing it I have added Nvidia 5200 GFXcard and an extra hard drive which are suitable for my needs

However, I am now wondering where to go next as my only problem is that it still seems slow and would like to be able to speed it up eg, I downloaded the FSX demo and although it ran it did seems to struggle!!

Questions being - (1) If I look at upgrading mobo & processor - does that involve purhasing a new version of XP as well as I heard that once the mobo is changed it is classed as a "new machine" and therefore windows has to be replaced.

(2) Because of the integrated DRAM Controller I think I can only push the RAM up to 1GB (PC2100) 333MHz - despite what emachines website says!!

What would be the best way to upgrade & make my system faster whilst still giving me some form of "future-proofing" as I can't see any reason to get rid of the HDD's & DVD RW that I have added to the original system.

Also, as with a lot of people, budget is a concern!!

Ideas / Suggestions please

Gongoozler 16:20 16 Jun 07

How much do you want to spend and how much faster do you want your computer to be?

Dirk Diggler 16:35 16 Jun 07

Not sure on budget - depends what I will get for my money! Sorry thats not much help

Gongoozler 16:42 16 Jun 07

Hi Dirk Diggler. The reason I ask is that your computer is very old (in computer terms). I recently repaired two computers for friends that had the same sort of specification as yours, but in both cases the motherboards had problems with memory management so I fitted this motherboard bundle from Novatech to each click here. The performance increase was phenomenal, and for £81 was much better than could ever be achieved by patching bits onto the old motherboard (which wasn't an option anyway because of the memory management fault).

Dirk Diggler 16:48 16 Jun 07

Thanks - looks like a good price!

Just noticed it is PCI-E whereas my Nvidia 5200 is AGP (I think)

Also, where do I stand on the windows XP licence?

Cheers

Gongoozler 16:50 16 Jun 07

Regarding XP. If you only have a restore disk (or whatever it might be called, then I'm sure that you won't be able to use it if you change the motherboard. If you have a full OEM version of XP on a CD, you might be able to persuade Microsoft to revalidate it. If you have the retail version of XP on CD, then you should have no problems. Alternatively when you buy a new motherboard you qualify to buy a new OEM copy of XP or Vista click here.

Dirk Diggler 16:54 16 Jun 07

Many thanks - OEM Vista sounds tempting :-)

Gongoozler 16:57 16 Jun 07

Hi Dirk Diggler. Yes the price is very good - about the same as for the component parts but its tested as a bundle making installation very simple. I'm afraid that your AGP graphics card will be of no use with (almost) any new motherboard. The Novatech bundle I indicated has onboard graphics. Not wonderful but adequate for most purposes. It does use 56M (I think) of the memory for the onboard graphics, so it's worth considering the 1024M ram version if you are considering Vista, but I found the 512M very good with XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…