Upgrade Office 2003 to Office 2007

J B 14:07 24 Apr 07

I've been thinking about upgrading and have a few questions about doing so.

1. Will office 2007 install over 2003?
2. If not and I have to un-install 2003, do I have to backup all my contacts and email?
3. I have noticed that 2007 has an instant search facility, do I really need that in a home environment?
4. This might sound like a repeat,but, if 2007 installs over 2003 will the new program keep all my contacts and email?

Thats all I can think of for the present, but if anyone who answers this epistle could tell me how they are getting along with 2007 and what are the pitfalls if any to the program itself. Thanks for listening. J.B.

Slithe 15:16 24 Apr 07

What edition of Office 2007 are you looking at buying and more importantly WHAT do you expect out of your Office 2007 experience. Yes the interface is different, there are new file formats and wizards - but if you are happy with Office 2003 then you may not find 2007 much different.

That said - I used both and I prefer 2007. As a student, the obvious choice for me was Home & Student 2007 - I only upgraded to make use of the new reviewing tools in Word, such as the tri-pane review feature - which has greatly helped in writing my thesis. That said, the Home version can be installed on 3 PC's, but doesn't include Outlook - so your contact an e-mail question is moot if you want this version. (You get a useless copy of Onenote instead, why not Access?!) So you will need Office Standard and up for Outlook...

If you purchase a non-upgrade edition then you can install Office 2007 alongside 2003 - the only problem here is that Outlook must either be 2003 OR 2007, can't be both. I found that my installation of Office was installed in the same place as my previous Office XP installation and the programmes were removed automatically (except for the ones that aren't included in my 2007 version.)Can't comment specifically with Outlook as I have a uni account with e-mail facilities so I don't use the software...

You ask about pitfalls - well be aware that Office 2007 saves all files in a new XML format, whilst you can read older formats from previous versions, the older versions CANNOT by default read the new 2007 format. This does frustrate people, you either have to download a compatability pack for the previous versions OR ensure that you save documents in previous formats.

The XML formats are smaller in size than the previous ones which is good for transfer. Personally, I think Word is much stronger in the 2007 version than before, and has virtually assumed most of the functions of previous versions of Publisher. Have played with Excel and Powerpoint, they are ok to work with. I think 2007 is an improvement over previous versions and is quite easy to use than before.

J B 15:33 24 Apr 07

I should have mentioned this before. I have office 2003 standard edition installes. Sorry. J.B.

Marko797 15:45 24 Apr 07

I tried the 2007 office on my system, upgrading from 2003. Frankly, I didn't like it, and (call me old fashioned) reverted to Office 2003. All my files remained intact, but on un-installing 2007, it also removed 2003. I was left with (for example) 'notepad' icons for my previous Word documents. Therefore I had to re-install 2003 which sensed the notepad docs as Word and so things returned to normal. On this basis, it should the same principle that applies with what ur suggesting JB.

Marko797 15:46 24 Apr 07

Oh and yes, u can install 2007 over 2003 (well I did anyhow), as per ur original question.

pj123 18:10 24 Apr 07

Why would you want to?

I am using Office 2000, it does everything I want so I don't see the point in updating/upgrading.

Unless, of course, you have money to spend.

I personally would stick with 2003. If it aint broke... new isn't always better. I upgraded and had no end of problems with files that had macros etc made with 2003 office.

J B 20:01 24 Apr 07

I think that I will stay with what I have for the present. The reason why I asked around is that I can get a copy for a reasonable price. Thanks again for the advice, I will keep my duckets in the pocket for now. J.B.

al7478 20:54 24 Apr 07

there is a compatibility pack you can download from microsoft which will solve the problem, but, for obvious reasons, theyre not exactly shouting its existence from the rooftops.

i would provide a "click here" link, but i have tried a few times now and i seem to have lost the knack (which i learned only recently). I must have forgotten something i guess.

Slithe - when you put one version of office over another, and it keeps the features you dont have in the new but did in the old - do he "old" applications take on the appearance/behaviour/properties of office 2007...?

You just need to copy the website address and paste it in here al7478.

bremner 20:59 24 Apr 07

I have to agree with others. I tried 2007 for a few months and could not get on with it.

2003 does everything I need in a way I am familiar with I can see absolutely no reason to upgrade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…