upgrade needed

gingerfox 19:03 09 Feb 05

can anyone give a total novice in computers a guiding hand i have a hp a509 computer it was only £300 i thought it would be ideal for a beginner but for a beginner i think its absolutely crap slow, i use aol 2mb broadband and it even struggles with that i tried putting a game on it and so jurky i could'nt play it. is it possible to put a faster proccessor in it it is at 2.6ghz and has a 40g hard drive is there any thing i can do to make it fast or should i spend some more money on a better one if so what do you suggest thanks.

JonnyTub 19:05 09 Feb 05

You don't mention how much memory you have, this is the single biggest speed boost and upgrade you could do. The hard drive is a little on the small side in comparison with the latest machines, a future upgrade possibility.

mattyc_92 19:09 09 Feb 05

If you are a novice, then the best thing would to buy a new up-2-date system (around £600)...

To "upgrade" the processor, you will have to get the correct type e.g. a Socket 754Pin.... Your processor is better than the one that I have installed in this machine... The graphics card would set you around £60 for a card that can cope with almost every game on the market at the moment...

The memory may need to be upgraded..

A processor can cost anything up to £200 for a faster one than you have at the momement...

I would format the system and see if that makes a difference first..

gingerfox 19:10 09 Feb 05

the memory is 256mb
plus its intel celeron is this much cop

JonnyTub 19:12 09 Feb 05

I personally would double the memory, processor is fine, i would look at other factors which may contribute to the slow speed of your pc.

I.e. spyware,malware, viruses, etc

What's running in the background, clean out temp files, defrag the hard drive... you know the usual kind of stuff.

mattyc_92 19:13 09 Feb 05

Your memory could do with another 256mb chip to boost to 512mb... But your processor, as I have said, is better than the system I currently am using (building a new one at the moment) and my system has no problems in speed for any game I have tried on it...

csqwared 19:18 09 Feb 05

You don't say whether you bought this system new or secondhand. If it's s/h there are a few things you could do to try and improve the speed. Try de-fragging the drive, check there is no spyware etc. lurking in there and as a final resort, providing you have the original system CD's, do as mattyc_92 suggests, reformat and do a clean install. Once again, as mattyc_92 says, the processor is by no means slow. I run 850mhz Duron with reasonable speed although I'm no gamer.

cc

gingerfox 19:19 09 Feb 05

is there any free spyware,malware,virus programs on the net i can download

csqwared 19:20 09 Feb 05

JonnyTub and I must have been typing at the same time!! :-))

csqwared 19:22 09 Feb 05

The one's generally recommended on here are Sybot, Adaware SE etc. If you look through the forum archive, you'll get a feel for the better ones.

JonnyTub 19:22 09 Feb 05

Adaware, spybot, a2squared

Csqwared ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…