upgrade my computer

tamas 14:33 04 Nov 06

These are the details of which is installed on my computer. I am looking for advise on the best resouces for upgrading to inprove performance and also be able to play relatively fast games.
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
Currently Installed Memory: 128 MB
Available Memory Slots:1
Number of Banks: 2
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz Model 1, Stepping 3
CPU Speed: 1694 MHz

Totally-braindead 14:43 04 Nov 06

Its too old I'm afraid. Sorry.

You could make it a bit faster by adding more memory that always makes things quite a bit quicker but the newest games require a faster processor than you have. Perhaps you could upgrade it but even if you could its unlikely to make a huge difference.

If you're generally happy with it and just want to boost it a bit then add more memory. Failing that its a new PC I'm afraid. It needn't cost a fortune though, if you use your existing monitor you could get something like this click here add for Windows XP and if you want to play games add another £100 for a graphics card and there you go. Theres others as well if you have the money.

Belatucadrus 01:51 05 Nov 06

Assuming that it's got XP on it, a RAM boost to 512Mb would be a good idea. You also make no mention of what graphics you've got, if it's onboard the MOBO, then a decent AGP card could provide a very handy games boost. But as Totally-braindead points out, expecting a 1.7 celery to handle the latest high demand generations of FPS is wishful thinking.

acsmanhtml12 11:05 05 Nov 06

You could if you tweeked it. Take out the 128MB Memory and put 512MB or 1024MB in each of the slots should cost about £100 (well no more). Get a PCI graphics card. ATI or nVidia. Talk to a salesman in PCworld to find out what your PC needs. If you are feeling adventurous fit a new Motherboard and completely upgrade your system!

hzhzhzhz 11:09 05 Nov 06

If you intend to play games like FEAR for example then I would invest in a new system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5