Upgrade motherboard.

jake2 11:12 28 Mar 05

Most of the components on my motherboard i.e. processor 2400 athlon, graphics card fx5200 (Asus A7A266)are at the limit of what the motherboard can support, so I am thinking that upgrading the motherboard would be the next logical step?
I would like something that would support as many of the original components as possible until I can upgrade them again, but futureproof enough that I can leave the motherboard in place for a few years. What type of board would you recommend? Think I would like to stick with AMD processor (not sure why though) I guess that I will have to change the processor and psu at the same time as changing the mobo?

961 11:39 28 Mar 05

I think you should wait a while

I know, you can wait forever but firstly I don't know that you are going to see a step change in performance at the moment, but if you can wait a while then..

A BTX based system with a 939 pin AMD processor, pci express and proper 64bit software should be the bees knees in the not too distant future

jake2 11:54 28 Mar 05

Waiting's not a problem!! What's a btx based system? Not really up to speed with the latest innovations as I usualy wait until the initial rush and high prices pass! I heard bit's and pieces about 64 bit technology, what difference will it make? Faster processor speeds?

goonerbill © ® 12:53 28 Mar 05

some one has brought out a mobo that has AGP and pci-e graphics slot on the one board but you will more than likely have to get a new CPU, but you should be able to use all the other components that you have already.

sorry i can't point you in the direction of the maker but can't remember who it was. maybe one of the other members can.

961 13:27 28 Mar 05

For the last few years most systems have been built to a common ATX sized standard which has allowed an atx case to accept atx motherboards and other components built to that standard in the knowledge that whoever built them they would all fit together.

A new BTX standard with improved design for cooling and assembly has recently been agreed and these cases are beginning to appear on the market. It is likely that motherboard manufacturers will produce boards to fit shortly

Processor manufacturers currently produce 64bit processors but software producers are some way behind. When 64bit Microsoft software can take advantage of the new processors speeds will improve

All this is busy happening. As prices fall these systems may well become the norm. In the meanwhile you may feel that there is little to be gained from buying a new motherboard now unless there is some pressing reason. Your system is by no means a slouch and certainly if you are seeking faster speeds now then you will need a new motherboard and processor and probably a new type of memory as well.

Unless you go to AMD 3200 min I don't think you will notice any real practical difference in performance

jake2 14:54 28 Mar 05

Thanks 961 that explains it perfectly. I suppose I've got to decide either to stick with the atx style mobo which may make it less futureproof, if all cases & components evolve into btx, or as you suggest wait for btx cases and components. It does'nt sound that atx and btx components will be interchangable. It's always difficult when you hear figures like 266mhz fsb compared to 500mhz fsb or 2400 athlon compared to 3200 athlon to work out how much really noticeable difference there would be. Sure on a benchmark the differences would be obvious, but day to day would the average joe (me!) notice the difference? What differences will the 64bit technology make once 64bit software is up and running?
Thanks goonerbill if I can find out the name of the mobo you're talking about that may do as a perfect stopgap until I make up my mind about what to do.

Rayuk 15:14 28 Mar 05

click here

and possible AMD

click here

Although they may be a couple of months away yet,time to do a little saving.

goonerbill © ® 19:34 28 Mar 05

found the board i mentioned click here only problem is that its intel. not sure if they have amd based board

goonerbill © ® 19:45 28 Mar 05

no AMD based board made by ECS. maybe someone else will/has made a board to take AMD cpu's similar to ECS board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…