upgrade for mother

staples printer cartridge 11:57 23 Dec 04

I have said I will upgrade my mother-in-laws pc. Her pc is actually quite adequate for her purposes but is simply running very slowly. I have per formed amny things to get it quicker, but she basically has on old HDD and 450 MHz processor. So, I though, new HDD, new processor and therefore motherboard and memory. I thought I would go for a AMD 2500+ -ish processor as this would be quick enough and will last her a few years. Can anyone recommend a motherboard which would need on board graphics and sound?

mrdsgs 12:05 23 Dec 04

by the time you have bought new motherboard, memory, cpu and fan and probably new hd you will find it cheaper and simpler to buy a new computer (without monitor or speakers) form a company like dell for around £200-£250

mrdsgs

mrdsgs 12:08 23 Dec 04

seasonal humour makes me suggest that this is a "replacement for mother" rather than "upgrade for mother" (I could actually supply "mother-in-law" for free if it would suffice !!!!)

Jeffers22 12:28 23 Dec 04

Try Watford's upgrade bundles - Mobo (all in), CPU and RAM for around £100 click here I have used these for my own Father-in-law and two of my sons. Good value, work well - esp pre assembled ones.

wjrt 12:33 23 Dec 04
  Noelg23 12:52 23 Dec 04

also there is click here but leave it until after new year cos the delivery is a bit shaky over the xmas period...I ordered PC parts to build two PCs 3 weeks ago, and would you believe they shipped them seperately and the last lot only arrived on Tues!! good job we got them delivered to my mother-in-laws house in Grimsby (i live in Aberdeen with my fianceé and we're off to Grimsby for xmas and new year). so I just thought I let you know just in case you order them now! not that you would of course...

urban gorilla 12:53 23 Dec 04

is it true theres a limit to what you can upgrade to and how can you find out what the limits are?

staples printer cartridge 12:57 23 Dec 04

Thanks for the links, I will check it out over Christmas.

pj123 13:02 23 Dec 04

staples printer cartridge. What you have quoted is probably an AT. New motherboards etc are now ATX so they won't fit your existing case anyway.

So mrdsgs suggestions is the way to go.

Stuartli 13:07 23 Dec 04

You beat me to it...:-)

staples printer cartridge

From Monday Tesco is selling a Philips Family PC package with AMD Sempron 2800+, Windows XP Home, Works 7.0, 256Mb DDR RAM, 80GB HDD, Philips CD rewriter, DVD-ROM, 17in monitor, modem, speakers, colour printer and keyboard and mouse for £398.

Further, from January 26th, its mobile phone hands free, in-car Nokia charger and universal in-car mobile holder will be half price - £2.48 for the first two and £1.48 for the phone holder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…