Upgrade memory on pc

sugarbabe 21:16 29 Oct 06

I have an old emachine 330 which is on windows xp. It has two slots for memory, maximum 256 mb which i have already filled.

Been on offtek and can buy 128 mb of sdram dimm for this machine.

If i buy 512 mb of sd ram and install.What will it do to my pc????

Also if I was to upgrade processor with such little memory would machine speed up or not???

Jak_1 21:23 29 Oct 06

In short, no. The mobo is designed to take up to a certain amount of memory and chip size. Check with the makers site what chip it can take up to and the RAM. If it's that old then personally I wouldn't bother.
With the present chip you say that the mkers say 256MB RAM so going above that would be a waste, may be able to take more with a better chip though but is it worth it!

sugarbabe 21:26 29 Oct 06

My problem is it is so slow, use it for my son and takes so long too start up and load games etc. HAve done all the usual de - frags etc looked at start up and taken off unneccasary programs but still really slow. Don't have funds to buy new pc so hoping to give this one a boost.

I looked on emachine website and couldn't find my model no, so not very helpful.

mrbuk 21:44 29 Oct 06

You would be just as well buying a motherboard bundle and fitting it, Novatech, for instance, do some good deals for around a ton 20.

Technotiger 21:45 29 Oct 06

330 reviews/details ...

click here

As Jak_1 says, the e330 can only go up to 256Mb RAM, and putting in a more powerful CPU will not make it go any faster - I don't think the expense would warrant that anyway.

Sorry can't give better news.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…