upgrade medion 98s/e to xp

hazelnut 11:11 27 Mar 05

I wish to upgrade win 98 s/e to xp home on my medion desktop computer. Has anyone done this? if so was the oem 98s/e o/s system disc supplied with the computer accepted in the xp installation requirement for ownership.

01chris 11:16 27 Mar 05

i think i know what you mean and if you put the xp disc in the cd drive when the pc has finished booting the installer should autorun and just choose upgrade from the list and you shouldn't be asked for any other discs/ codes (apart from xp)

hazelnut 13:58 27 Mar 05

bump

hazelnut 19:08 27 Mar 05

bump

VoG II 19:13 27 Mar 05

Are you saying that you want to reformat first then install XP? There is no need to do this. The XP installer will recognise that Windows 98 is installed. During the installation you will get the option to do a format + install or to install over the top of the existing Windows.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:14 27 Mar 05

01chris's advice is spot on, no need to keep bumping. I have done this with a few systems and all worked well. You will need to register the copy of XP though (by the internet is the easiest way).

G

VoG II 19:15 27 Mar 05

P.S. Have you checked that your system resources are up to running XP and that your hardware and software are compatible with XP? click here

hazelnut 09:27 29 Mar 05

I want to upgrade over win 98s/e. What I am unsure of is, will the OEM version of win 98s/e pre-installed by Medion when I bought the computer be accepted when the win 98 s/e disk is required to be inserted as proof of ownership.System resources are ok, but I expect trouble with the adaptec (roxio) cd rw software.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:51 29 Mar 05

XP will accept the 98OEM version ok.

Simsy 11:28 29 Mar 05

so apologies if I've misunderstood...

I think the question being asked might refer to the fact that the disc supplied with the system is a "Restore" disc of some sort, rather than an actual MS 98 disc, and will the restore disc be OK when a previous OS disc is asked for.

I don't know the answer, and again, apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…