Upgrade ME to XP Home

alcudia 16:31 02 Sep 03

I have two PC's, one running XP Pro and the other ME. I have decided that enough is enough and am going to move the ME machine to XP. I don't need the extras that come with pro so I am going for the Home version. I have installed or upgraded XP Pro more than 50 times on various machines, but have never seen the Home version. Also those I have done were all joined to a domain to names and computers entered in Active Directory. My question? What can I expect to see in the XP home upgrade regarding network settings etc. as this is stand alone machine. Do I still need to create an admin account? and anything else that may be different. Firewarned is forearmed as they say.
Also I have 15gb of apps and files on this machine. Is it recommended that I back up, re-format, reinstall ME and upgrade to "clean" machine," or should it still (in theory) go ok. I cannot do a clean install of XP as I only have a ghosted recovery disc for ME, and would lose all the preinstalled applications. I have no problem with any of the hardware. It will all work.

leo49 16:59 02 Sep 03

click here

The above has illustrations of the screens you'll encounter.

Whilst all seem to recommend a clean install as the "best" option, I installed the XP OS I'm currently using as an experiment as an upgrade[retaining programs] over the top of an ME-based Speedos installation and it's been running like clockwork since the beginning of April.

Regards

alcudia 17:07 02 Sep 03

Thanks for that link, just what I wanted.

I think I'll back up anything critical and go for it. If it fails I can start from scratch anyway.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…