Upgrade: How much RAM should I add?

Mastermind 13:14 22 Jul 03

I have now identified what type of RAM I need to upgrade my old PC.

However, I'm not sure how much to purchase. I don't want to waste my money on an additional 256MB if the improvement difference over an additional 128MB would be insignificant.

My old PC is a Pentium III 500MHz with 1x128MB of PC100 SDRAM installed. The motherboard has three slots and can accept a maximum of 3 x 256MB = 768MB SDRAM.

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

What do you think? 128MB (£43) or 256MB (£25)?

M7MAK 13:29 22 Jul 03

i would put in as much as you can afford,i have one gig of ram on my computor,you will benefit on xp pro, it realy all dipends on how many aplications you run at the same time, & what you run ie tv cards vidio editing playing mpegs sufing the net downloading, it all takes up ram, you will only notice programs opening & running quicker,

xania 13:32 22 Jul 03

I think you have got your 128K figure wrong, but frankly for later versions of Windows, 256K is pretty minimal - I would get the 256K stick. Also, take a look at the 'Memory question' on this page re. reclaiming unused memory.

Peverelli 13:50 22 Jul 03

I believe XP needs a minimum of 256Mb, (512Mb recommended) so buying the 128Mb stick will only get you to the minimum level. Go for the 256Mb or more if you can afford it.

Mastermind 14:47 22 Jul 03

(I'm sure you all noticed that I got my prices round the wrong way!)

I agree with everything you've said. It's just that I'm going to be building myself a new PC soon and then my old one will get limited use.

Will there be a significant difference between these set-ups:
128 + 128 = 256
128 + 256 = 384

As for the minimum requirements XP Pro runs fine on this PC with only 128MB. :-)

plankton 15:09 22 Jul 03

I'm sure you've done some shopping around, but this link click here if you know what memory you want, this has got to be a cheaper short-term upgrade..

Wes Tam ;-) 15:22 22 Jul 03

Mastermind it's as M7MAK says "it realy all dipends on how many aplications you run at the same time, & what you run ie tv cards vidio editing playing mpegs sufing the net downloading,..."

If you're a gamer or multi-tasker put in as much as possible, but if you're like me (occasional game of cards, spreadsheets, internet etc. - one at a time) then you don't need much.

I've recently upgraded from 2x128 to 2x256 and haven't noticed any difference (but I'm running ME).

As you're not investing for the future of that PC save your money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…