Upgrade Help for a novice needed please!!

Bleemer 12:50 16 May 06

I'm looking to upgrade my PC to get a bit more oomph!!
Currently I have a Mesh Matrix running an AMD Athlon XP 2800+, an ASUS A7N8X2.0 motherboard, Nvidia FX5600 graphics card and 1 gig RAM. Mainly I use the PC for gaming (WW2 Online) and performance is getting slow there. I am looking to upgrade the graphics card, processor. I'm a bit of a novice and am unsure whether I need a PCI or AGP graphics card, or what kind of processor I need, whether it's a socket 754/939 etc etc. To be honest it's baffling. I've tried customer support with Mesh and held for 20 mins, so thought I would try here for some assistance. I'm looking at spending up to £250 and was thinking of a 3500 processor and a NVidia 6600 or 6800 card (depending on prices). Thanks

alan227 13:14 16 May 06

Your processor is a 462 socket so it will not take a 754 or a 939 processor, without a new motherboard.
Your graphics card will be an AGP and although you can get an AGP 6600Gt card you will not notice that much of an improvement over your old set up.
The only way to improve is to get a new motherboard, processor & a PCIE graphics card.
It might be possible for £250 if you have a look on something like E-Bay.
Also what is your memory, is it 2100, 2700 or 3200?.

Bleemer 13:30 16 May 06

Thanks Alan, budgeting for a new motherboard scuppers my plans for a cheap performance boost. I understand that the 462 socket is also known as socket A - just researching the options I have, but it seems that my options are limited. The memory is 3200. Thanks

Demora 13:30 16 May 06

Try click here. They have some barebones packages and all come ready fitted. You might not be able to use the RAM if its SD as most now use DDR. And the GFX card would be extra. I was told by Novatech that the AGP GFX cards are far better than the PCI. BUT it depends on what will fit in your casing too.

alan227 13:37 16 May 06

Your memory will be fine to use when you decide to upgrade.

alan227 13:50 16 May 06

Just had a look on E-Bay, a decent 939 mobo ( Asus, Msi or gigabyte ) can be had for between £30 - £60.
A 939 3500 processor can be had for around £90.
and a 6600GT graphics card for about £80.
So it is within your budget.
And you can use you existing memory.

Bleemer 15:08 16 May 06

Thanks for the help there. Given me a few ideas and I understand what I am looking for. Going to decide whether it will work out better to buy a complete system less monitor etc. for a couple of hundred more or upgrade my existing system.

woodchip 15:38 16 May 06

Before you go down the Upgrade rout, Try removing Programs from MSCONFIG that do not need to Run at boot, but will consume PC power, Also clear out all the Dross and Defrag the hard drive.

Start\Run type MSCONFIG press enter, go to Startup Tab you will see boxes with ticks in, they start at boot, you need to find out what you can remove.

citadel 17:54 16 May 06

I would get the graphics card first, there should be a big boost for gaming. You may not need a new cpu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…