Upgrade hard drive/graphics card?

DAGWOOOD 22:35 06 Jan 04

I use my pc only to access the internet. I would like to know if I upgrade my hard drive whether I would see a noticable difference in speed, i.e.I visit the same web pages frequently and so my hard disk is being used to retreive my data in the temporary internet files. I also wandered whether changing my graphics card would show any benefits. I have a Duron 800 machine, 512Ram, 10gb seagate hard drive running at 5400 rpm, 32mb vga card. I have xp pro and a dial up connection. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

soy 23:22 06 Jan 04

Regarding the new hard drive and Internet browsing speeds, no you won't see any difference. If you have a 5200rpm harddrive and upgraded to a 7200rpm one, then you'll probably see a slight increase in speed when you load applications and games.

Upgrading your graphics card will improve you PC the most, especially your gaming experience. You'll be able to play the newer games, and everything will look much better overall.

minter 00:46 07 Jan 04

If you access the internet a lot, and are able to, then I would recommend you get ADSL installed.

Nothing else you add to your computer could give the speed increase.

DAGWOOOD 01:42 07 Jan 04

Soy, thank you for the input. I'll look into upgrading my graphics card. Minter, thanks for the reply. Could you please tell me what ADSL is please. As you've probably gathered I am a beginner with regards to current computer technology.

DAGWOOOD 01:54 07 Jan 04

Minter, spot the dork! There is no need to reply to my request for help. I hadn't heard of broadband being described as ASDL before.

minter 14:06 08 Jan 04

It isn't that I am clever, or anything like. it is just that there are four key strokes in adsl and nine in broadband - so who's the lazy boy!

Seriously, if you can recieve adsl and more importantly justify the expense (Pipex are £24/month but there are cheaper).

The advantages are: 1, the speed; 2, you have 24hr, 7 days a week availability and no cut-off times; 3, you do not need an extra line for the phone as the one line does both your internal telephone and adsl.

Price wise, I used to pay £15 a month, and had to put up with 2 hourly cut-offs, could not download a lot of stuff because the service was too slow, could not recieve or send phone calls while on the internet. If you take the rental of an extra line for the phone into costs, the prices are similar.

Am lucky and have been on ADSL now for 4 months, cut out a couple of mags/month, and am an extremely happy person.

Sorry, about the length of the manuscript, but personally I think the best way forward for you - if you use the internet a lot is broadband. It would beat any improvement you could make to your computer.

Just make sure that the one you have is capable of taking the service, and check out service providers carefully.

I will now let you go to sleep, if you have not already done so.

minter 14:08 08 Jan 04

Have a look at click here

DAGWOOOD 01:57 09 Jan 04

Thank you for taking the time to ellaborate on your earlier advice. The input is appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…