Upgrade and Hard drive help

staples printer cartridge 08:42 20 Feb 04

Two things:

I have just bought a cheap hard drive to be used as a slave but I may have bought the wrong thing! I have bought a Deagate SCA SCSI drive and I don't know how to fit it. I have put slaves drives in before but these seems different. My motherboard is an ASUS A7A266 if it helps. How do I go about it, or do I resign myself to the fact that it is incompatible?

Secondly if I were to upgarde my moptherboard what would you recommend? I have 512Mb RAM and Audigy Platinum card and a radeon 9600 Pro graphics card. My processor is 1.4 GHz. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks

stlucia 08:48 20 Feb 04

A "normal" hard drive would be IDE, not SCSI. If your supplier won't swap it for you, you probably need to get a SCSI card to run it.

Eric10 08:58 20 Feb 04

As stlucia says, you need a scsi card to connect your new Seagate drive to your system but since you can buy a 60Gb or 80Gb IDE drive for the same money as a scsi card it isn't really practical to do this. Best advice is to swap the drive if you can.

staples printer cartridge 09:42 20 Feb 04

bought it cheap from ebay, only £8 so not too fussed about getting rid of it. What are the advantages of SCSI and how much is a card? Do I just get a new IDE drive and be done with it?

stlucia 14:08 20 Feb 04

Some people swear by SCSI because it used to be faster than IDE, but I'm not sure if that's still the case because IDE speeds have increased.

Like Eric10, I would just go get an IDE drive rather than buying a SCSI card. You could perhaps sell your SCSI drive through Ebay!?

staples printer cartridge 14:49 22 Feb 04

it with an iDE card. Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…