upgrade hard drive

sheffy 14:38 20 Feb 04

I'm running an old pentium 2 PC with a tiny hard drive. I'd like to upgrade the hard drive to a much bigger one (internal). Can I buy any IDE hard drive or do I need to make sure it will work with the mother board I have?

Sheila-214876 14:51 20 Feb 04

Yes, you do. But what "tiny" hard drive do you have now and what O/S do you have. It would also be an advantage to know the date of your BIOS. Some BIOSs will only take up to 8gb hard drives which would be very difficult to find now.

sheffy 15:07 20 Feb 04

Thanks ennuye

I've got a 10gb hd and I'd like at least 40gb. I'm running windows 98 but I've got a copy of XP which I'd like to use but I'm a little nervous that a P2 266Mhz chip won't be able to cope.

Diemmess 15:32 20 Feb 04

By all means fit a larger HD, preferably partitioned into 20Gb or less if you keep Win98SE.

What does scare me is the idea of the humble old PC trying to handle such a different and huge operating system.

Instead of extra speed and facility you may find long waits during startup and various other snags.

961 16:02 20 Feb 04

I would stick with 98 up to 98SE. XP is a step too far

Seagate software is very good for installing another hard disk

Sheila-214876 16:29 20 Feb 04

Forget XP and stick with what you have. As you already have a 10gb hard drive you should be able to install a 40gb hard drive no problem. There are quite a few things you would need to do first though before installing it. Too complicated to put up here so email me and I will give you the procedure.

sheffy 17:07 20 Feb 04

Thanks for all your help. It's given me some good pointers.

AubreyS 17:16 20 Feb 04

I've got XP Pro running on a Celeron 300Mhz Laptop. Runs well with no problems. You will need at least 128Mb of RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…