upgrade fm xp to xp pro

pjelliott 23:49 19 Oct 05

i have winxp pre installed on my computer which is 5 yrs old i have lots of problems re files missing due to a 13yr who likes to play (i know my fault) my question is as winxp is preinstalled and i do not have the disk to fix the many files that are wrong or missing am i better off buying a winxp and reinstalling or if i purchase win pro and upgrade to pro will this fix my problems in winxp??

Gandalph 00:30 20 Oct 05

Unless you are going to have a LAN I wouldn't bother with XP Pro as this is basically the only difference between Home and Pro versions. XP Home is much cheaper anyway. Yes this would sort your re-installation problem. Without knowing exactly what damage has been done to your already installed software I would have thought that just placing the Disc into the drive and doing an sfc /scannow would sort your problem, but you may need to enter the new ID number for the software.

sharkfin 01:17 20 Oct 05

If its been 5 yrs, then a reinstall might be beneficial to get rid of possible errors and conflicts your experiencing.

I agree with Gandalph, that Xp pro isn't worth it unless your running on some sort of business network. Xp home edition would be better and cheaper.

If you do reinstall, then always backup anything important to external media.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…